diabetes-icon

High fasting sugar

My HBA1C is between 6.5-6.8 since last 2 years . But fasting glucose level is between 120-140 . When I sleep at night around 10.30 it's 115--120 . But it increases in the morning. Through out the day it's in normal range 130-150. Should I start medicine for this .

Doctor Answers (2) on High fasting sugar

Fasting sugar >126 and HBA1c >6.5 is diagnosis for Diabetes. Go for proper health checkup and consult with Diabetologist.
Dr. Narendra BS Bangalore | Diabetologist
You have type 2 diabetes mellitus. Fasting blood glucose can increase in the morning due to hepatic (liver) glucose output, which is higher in diabetes patients, though you have normal blood glucose through the day. Maintain a healthy lifestyle - low carb, low fat, diabetic diet & regular walk/exercise - 30 min/ day, which will greatly help in controlling your diabetes. Medications not indicated for now. Recheck ur FBS, PPBS, HbA1C after 3 months, and consult ur Endocrinologist for further management.