High Cholestrol Parameter

During my routine checkup, my all cholesterol parameters were observed high as below: Cholesterol Total: 257 Triglycerides: 216 HDL cholesterol: 40 LDL cholesterol: 174 VLDL cholesterol: 43 Non HDL cholesterol: 217 I have undergone gall bladder surgery and appendicitis surgery in 2014. Please advice on to why cholesterol parameters are high, how to control it and what are the worrying symptoms.

Doctor Answers (1) on High Cholestrol Parameter

Poornachandra Tejaswi S Bangalore | General Physician
Hello... Sir I think you should know that cholesterol in the body is subdivided into LDL, HDL, VLDL, triglycerides.... Among this HDL cardio protective.. All Other froms are bad for health since this substances are known to increase weight. This things block the arteries by causing atherosclerosis which can affect any organs in the body. So my advice is to have a lifestyle modifications such as having a well balanced diet- which should includes fresh green leafy vegetables and fruits, you can include fish oil into your cooking if you are a non vegetarian, avoid cocunut in your food preparation as it is rich in cholesterol. Do daily exercise by doing daily morning brisk walking for 30-40mins, and cycling for 30-40 mins in the evening. Control of body weight should be taken seriously. smoking cessation, and limiting alcohol intake will be very beneficial to you. Some of the following group of drugs are generally prescribed in the management, like:- Fibric acid derivatives Niacin Omega-3 fatty acids HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors. So kindly consult a physician to assess your present clinical status and correlate the findings, which will help in further management