cardiologist-icon

High bp after quit smokin

I smoked for 5 yrs, 5-6 cigarettes a day, 3 weeks back I quit smoking and have been exercising daily after that. I took my bp twice this week. Highest was 144/82 that too in testing stage. Please advise if this is a withdrawal symptom of smoking cessation or hypertension? Does it happen to those who quit smoking or not?

Doctor Answers (2) on High bp after quit smokin

Dr. Ashish Srivastava Noida | General Physician
If that is during stress then nothing to worry
Get ambulatory BP monitoring done
Dr Ashish Srivastava
General Physician & Clinical Cardiologist
Yes. This is quite possible that this is just a response to your recent quitting of smoking as this can cause increase in heart rate and blood pressure as a part of withdrawal symptoms. But still I would advise you get your BP checked once in 2-3 weeks. If it is just due to a withdrawal reaction to quitting of smoking then the BP should gradually come down. But if this is hypertension it will remain high. But do consult a physician or a cardiologist and get personally examined before coming to any conclusion. Hope this helps. Dr Chandrashekhar Munjewar www.thefitheart.in