cardiologist-icon

High bp after quit smokin

I smoked for 5 yrs, 5-6 cigarettes a day, 3 weeks back I quit smoking and have been exercising daily after that. I took my bp twice this week. Highest was 144/82 that too in testing stage. Please advise if this is a withdrawal symptom of smoking cessation or hypertension? Does it happen to those who quit smoking or not?

Doctor Answers (2) on High bp after quit smokin

Dr. Chandrashekhar Munjewar
11 yrs. of exp | Mumbai | Cardiologist

INR 800 for 24 hrs

CHAT NOW
Yes. This is quite possible that this is just a response to your recent quitting of smoking as this can cause increase in heart rate and blood pressure as a part of withdrawal symptoms. But still I would advise you get your BP checked once in 2-3 weeks. If it is just due to a withdrawal reaction to quitting of smoking then the BP should gradually come down. But if this is hypertension it will remain high. But do consult a physician or a cardiologist and get personally examined before coming to any conclusion. Hope this helps. Dr Chandrashekhar Munjewar www.thefitheart.in
Dr. Ashish Srivastava
5 yrs. of exp | Noida | General Physician
If that is during stress then nothing to worry Get ambulatory BP monitoring done Dr Ashish Srivastava General Physician & Clinical Cardiologist