diabetes-icon

Hashimotos Hypothyroidism

I suffer from Hypothyroid (Hashimotos), Hypertension and Type-2 diabetes. As per lab reports in July end, My current TSH Level is high at 6.16 uIU/ml and antibodies at >600 IU/ml. Total T3 is 100 ng/dl, Total T4 is 11.4 ug/dl, Free T3 is 2.6 pg/ml and Free T4 is 1.32 ng/dl. My current dose of Eltroxin is 137.5 mcg daily on empty stomach. Actually, my TSH level went high 3 months back (9.3 uIU/ml) so my dose was increased from 100 mcg to 125 mcg daily and after checking after 6 weeks of increasing dose was found to be 6.16 uIU/ml) so was further increased to 137.5 mcg daily. Take 100mcg selenium supplement (cobadex czs) daily for reducing antibodies. I have severe Vit. D, Vit. B12 and Iron deficiency found about 8 months ago but still not corrected and have been taking supplements for that. I checked my ferritin levels last month which is 88 ng/ml. Iron is at 55 ug/ml (checked 3 months ago) even after taking supplements for 3-4 months. I request u to give me advise on diet & treatment.

Doctor Answers (1) on Hashimotos Hypothyroidism

Dr. Rakesh Arora Amritsar | General Endocrinologist
I am a little confused about your TSH value, whether its after taking 125 mcg or 137.5 mcg. Anyways, if after taking thyroxine supplementation for 6 weeks, (presuming thyroxine is taken in a proper way and other reasons for increased requirement like malabsorption etc are ruled out), and still TSH values remain high, dose has to be increased. Your anemia is most probably a part of the autoimmune syndrome, that leads to decreased absorption of iron and vit. B12. Regarding diet, you should take more green leafy vegetables. A proper diet plan from a certified dietecian is advisable.
Take medicine for 6 weeks and get TSH retested.