Hallucination

Hi doctor, I am writing this query for my grandma. She is telling something everyday which is actually not happened.while watching TV, she will relate everything to her life (if one guy is arrested in news and if name of guy is her brother , she will relate to her life). Also she thinks that somebody is living on terrace of house and claiming that they are trying to steal her house and properties around house. One day she prepared food for those imaginary peoples (people on terrace) and she told that they are starving. But whenever she meet a person from outside , she will smile and talk normally . She will tell everything Infront of close ones. She is having a good memory of the things happened. Also she thinks that something will happen to her house if she sees some news regarding some house demolishing news. We consulted one physiatrist nearby , but no effect . What it could be? Even we are not getting a clear picture of what is going on.

Doctor Answers (3) on Hallucination

Dr. Udayan Bhaumik Kolkata | Psychiatrist
Hello.this may be psychosis or early signs of dementia.Please consult a psychiatrist.
Dr. Sonia Malhotra Pune | Psychiatrist
Dear loving granddaughter, It is lucky your grandma has a caring person like you. Thankyou for the wonderful description. Prima-facie, it appears that she is suffering from late paraphrenia, It is a psychosis of the old age and needs to be treated with antipsychotic drugs, but in a lower dose than usual adult doses. The GOOD NEWS IS that it has a good prognosis and these symptoms of your grandma will recover soon.
Please get her treatment started at the earliest by a psychiatrist.
Dr. Shilpa Sri S.K Bangalore | Psychiatrist
Hi your grandmother might be suffering from a condition called psychosis. It's a condition wherein a person is out of touch with reality. Since your grandmother is above 70, first and foremost you must rule out any medical condition and dementia before psychosis is diagnosed. I suggest you take her to a neurologist first, get a scan of her brain done and then take the next course of action as suggested by the neurologist.