Gestational diabetes

I had gestational diabetes. I consulted a M.D. he said I m prone to diabetes. So he has asked me stop eating sweets n reduce the weight. My diet is most ofvthe time under control. But still my cholesterol is high. What else i can do. Please through some light on this.

Doctor Answers (1) on Gestational diabetes

Poornachandra Tejaswi S Bangalore | General Physician
Hi,since your question is bit unclear I will suggest this in to parts- first assuming you are pregnant now and have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes then- regular glucose monitoring is necessary, you need to follow a well balanced diet like daily egg white, glass of milk, lean meat, skinless chicken, green leafy vegetables,lentils etc. Do exercise in the form of daily walking. 10-20% of the people needs insulin injections to control this. Generally this condition goes off after pregnany. Second assuming your query is regarding managment after suffering from gestational diabetes- there is a test called OGCT(oral glucose tolerance test) done after 6 weeks of delivery to know whether your sugar levels have come back to normal. Get it done.there is a risk of having type2 diabetes in people who have suffered from gestational diabetes so get your sugar level checked atleast for once in a year and get it checked if you are ill and when you are planning for concieving.do regular brisk walking and do yoga and meditation. Follow the diet which I have mentioned earlier.if you are not satisfied consult a dietician.