Thank you for your query regarding Gestational Diabetes Mellitus. Gestational Diabetes Mellitus is a metabolic disorder of relative insulin deficiency with onset or first detection in pregnancy due to a physiological increase in anti-diabetogenic hormones. At 27 + 1 weeks, the modality of management depends upon blood sugar levels as well as the response to systematic escalation of treatment.
Effects of gestational diabetes on mother :
1. Need for dietary restriction and possible insulin requirement.
2. Special monitoring during labour.
3. Birth complications associated with a big baby like difficult labour, increased risk of operative vaginal delivery, perineal tears and postpartum hemorrhage
4. Increased chance of caesaarian delivery
5. Chance of recurrence in future pregnancies.
6. Chance of type 2 DM in the future.
Effects on baby
1. Increase birth weight.
3. Increase risk of early metabolic complications immediately post delivery.
4. Transient tachypnea of newborn.
5. Increased risk of NICU admission.
Rest assured the complications listed are minimal if blood sugar levels are maintained undercontrol.
You shall be asked to check up sugars once more after delivery D3 and 6-12 weeks after to rule out Chronic Type 2 DM, most gestational diabetes 75 percent disappears after delivery.
I hope the information was helpful. Do let me know if there are any additional queries.