Fungal infection on scalp

I was having fungal infection and was asked to use onabet and clindac for around 6 weeks and was asked to continue with an antidandruff shampoo, I was relieved from the problem by then. Now it has been 1month i stopped using those creams and the itching and irritation on the scalp is back. I am still using the shampoo weekly once but is of no use. What should i do? Kindly reply please

Doctor Answers (1) on Fungal infection on scalp

Hi. Greetings.I am not sure if u had fungal "infection" of the scalp. Seborrhoea capitis/ seborrhoiec dermatitis or dandruff is a chronic problem. Please note. Avoid using oils on scalp. This acts as food for fungus causing dandruff. You can apply it only at the hair part and not the scalp for short durations if you wish to. Secondly wash hair with antifungal / low strength corticosteroid based shampoos. Use maintenance shampoos regularly. You may need a course of oral antifungals if your condition is severe. See a dermatologist near you. Further queries may be sent on follow up messaging. Hope this helps. Warm regards Dr Govind S Mittal. Excel care hospital, Bangalore.