Frequent cold n high feve

Hi, my son often (at least once in two months) suffers from frequent cold n suddenly gets high fever which starts around 100 degrees and goes upto 104 in a day or two. Doctor always say that its a viral infection. What could be the reason he is getting into such situation frequently. Is there any way I can minimise these occurences if not eliminate completely as this is impacting his health and other routine to a great extent. Please advise.

Dr. Poonam M Sambhaji
Pediatrician 10 yrs exp North Goa

Hi, thanks for writing to Practo consult. A child below 6years usually tends to fall sick with viral fever 8-10 times in a year. I am happy your doctor has not inadvertently put your child on antibiotic. Yes there us a way this can be prevented to some extent , that is Flu vaccination. Discuss with your doctor and go for it. Its yearly vaccine. Hope this solves your query and helps you.