Eye surgery/safety progno

My father had phaco IOL surgery 4 years ago. Recovery was uneventful till now when he has been discovered to have large nuclear fragmentation in this eye. As advised we are planning for surgery to remove the nuclear fragment. How safe is this procedure and whats the post-op prognosis for vision? My father is diabetic and 76 years old.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Ophthalmologist/ Eye Surgeon 9 yrs exp Visakhapatnam

Hello 1.small nuclear fragments are harmless 2. If that fragment is in pupillary axis then only it can affect vision 3. In that case it is simple surgery with good prognosis
Dr. Rajen Mehta
Ophthalmologist/ Eye Surgeon 3 yrs exp Rajkot
Well what are his complaints at present. Because large nuclear fragment tend to induce inflammation in the eye. And as you have mentioned its been 4 years now. Was he asymptomatic during these 4 years? Surgery is pretty atraumatic nowadays. Of course the size of nuclear fragment does decide further actions. If its more than 2mm and is causing secondary glaucoma and inflammation then one should go for the surgery.