Eye irritation

I accidentally put denat alcohol which was a part of toner in my eyes. Now my eyes are red and irritating. How serious is this situation and What should I do?

Doctor Answers (2) on Eye irritation

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal Sangrur | Ophthalmologist/ Eye Surgeon
Hello dear...this is chemical injury.....clean ur eyes with cold water for 15 minutes....consult local eye specilist as it may have damaged ur conjunctiva and cornea.....doctor may prescribe u steroid depending on damage....antibiitic eyedrop if there is damage to cornea..and lubricating eyedrop....
Y Siva Kumar Hyderabad | Ophthalmologist/ Eye Surgeon
The seriousness of the condition depends on the concentration & quantity of the liquid that splashed into the eye. Also, on how quickly it was washed away. If the clear part of front of the eye, called cornea, is not affected, you may get away without any complications. To ascertain if there is any serious injury to the cornea, best way is to get yourself examined by an ophthalmologist. Meanwhile, plenty of cold water shall be used to wash away the liquid from the eye. Some denatured alcohols may also contain methanol, which can be even more toxic. For these reasons, even if your immediate symptoms are mild, better to go for a consultation.