Enlarged ovaries

I had an Ultrasound recently and it says my ovaries are enlarged with many small peripheral cysts. One of the ovaries is measured at 8mm3 vol and the other at 10 mm3 vol. How serious is this issue, is medical attention required? My periods have been regular and Thyroid under control..

Doctor Answers (1) on Enlarged ovaries

Sagar KS Bangalore | General Physician
Hi, it looks like polycystic ovarian syndrome. Polycystic ovary syndrome is a problem in which a woman's hormones are out of balance. It can cause problems with your periods and make it difficult to get pregnant. PCOS also may cause unwanted changes in the way you look. If it isn't treated, over time it can lead to serious health problems, such as diabetes and heart disease. Most women with PCOS grow many small cysts on their ovaries. That is why it is called polycystic ovary syndrome. The cysts are not harmful but lead to hormone imbalance. One hormone change triggers another, which changes another. For example: The sex hormones get out of balance. Normally, the ovaries make a tiny amount of male sex hormones (androgens). In PCOS, they start making slightly more androgens. This may cause you to stop ovulating, get acne, and grow extra facial and body hairs. The most common symptoms are:Acne. Weight gain and trouble losing weight. Extra hair on the face and body. Often women get thicker and darker facial hair and more hair on the chest, belly, and back. Thinning hair on the scalp. Irregular periods. Often women with PCOS have fewer than nine periods a year. Some women have no periods. Others have very heavy bleeding. Fertility problems. Many women who have PCOS have trouble getting pregnant (infertility). Depression. Consult your gynaecologist for furthur care and treatment.