Elevated Liver Enzymes
I've completed 34 weeks of twin pregnancy today. Due to itching, LFT was advised. SGOT, SGPT, Alkaline Phosphatase etc were abnormal. Tab Udiliv 300 (Twice daily) and reapeat LFT after one week was advised by Obs&Gyne. Repeated LFT on 12-Apr showed little improvement in above parameters: Does above mentioned results mean 'situation is alarming'? Precautions to avoid any harm to babies? When should the delivery be planned in view of above results? Effect on babies due to above mentioned levels? How long shall I continue Tab Udiliv?

Dr. Aparnaa Panda
Gynecologist 19 yrs exp Bangalore

Please trust ur gynaec. I'm sure she knows her work and will do the best for u and ur twins. Improvement in liver enzymes is rarely expected. We repeat the tests to see if it worsens. Must deliver if serum uric acid nears 7. In addition to liver enzymes.... Serum bile salts can be done to determine if babies have to be delivered earlier. If serum bike salts r more than 1000....they have to be delivered. Regular doppler ultrasound also recommended to see if the babies r fine. Udiliv to be continued till delivery. Wishing u a bright future with the twins. Keep me posted.