diabetes-icon
Dexamethasone supression
I had tsh level of 11.85 and was given 25mcg of thyronorm.after 10 days I was tested for anti tpo antibodies, tsh and Dexamethasone supression test for serum cortisol with 1mg dexona.now the tsh level is 1.14.does Dexamethasone lower tsh value,when should I test my tsh again to continue thyronorm as my doctor asked me to stop it seeing these value.

Dr. Sameer Sahay
Diabetologist 9 yrs exp Pune

If you have tpo antibodies with 11.85 tag with clinical signs and symptoms, you are hypothyroid. In such a case thyronorm should not be stopped. Dexamethasone suppresses tsh mildly and the drop is probably due to thyronorm. Dexamethasone suppression was a test for cortisol excess which is a different disease. The tsh reading after 10 days is also of no value. A proper diagnostic approach will lead to effective therapy.