Derma roller - PIH

Hi, I have a fair complexion and currently 2 big red hyperpigmentation spots on my cheek. is it advisable to use a dermaroller for hyperpigmentation, Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation to be precise. I'm scared that the healing caused by the punctures will result in more inflammation and hence more melanin formation. I also have a very small scar but I'm mainly wanting to get rid of the PIH by derma rolling.

Doctor Answers (3) on Derma roller - PIH

Dr. Pradnya Shastri Mumbai | Dermatologist
We need to find out why you have those marks in the first place. Do you get acne? Is it after sun exposure? Red marks can appear for a number of reasons. Examination by a dermatologist will help you know why they have appeared . It is only after that, well we be able to decide if dermarollers are better in the first place. There are many treatments available, more advanced than dermarollers...but only dermatologist will be able to decide what suits you the best. Visit one immediately.
Dermaroller may not be a good treatment at present. You can opt for Q-switched laser or chemical peels (under experienced Dermatologist). PIH will resolve eventually for sure.
Dr. Vijay Adhe Pune | Dermatologist
Hi Dermaroller is done for atrophic acne scars, open pores and lax skin as it helps in generation of new collagen in deep layers of skin. It has no effect on post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Chemical peeling sessions along with skin care regimen under the guidance of a qualified dermatologist will help fade dark spots away. Please consult a dermatologist for proper advise and treatment. Best regards Dr Vijay Adhe, Eternis Skin & Hair Clinic, Pune. www.eternisclinic.com