Depression

One of my friend is undergoing Depression. How is the best way for me to react to her. Are there anything's that I should be concerned of. Any help would be greatful.

Doctor Answers (4) on Depression

Ms. Hema Sampath
9 yrs. of exp | Bangalore | Clinical Psychologist

INR 750 for 24 hrs

CHAT NOW
I appreciate the concern for ur friend. The best help for ur friend next is taking her to  a Psychologist in your city and help her to get a clarity. Also ur presence and emotional support is always required along with a professional guidance.
Dr. Udayan Bhaumik
2 yrs. of exp | Udupi | Psychiatrist

INR 400 for 24 hrs

CHAT NOW
It is a very important matter.You must be genuine,patient and soothing.At the same time not blindly follow your friend in whatever they opine.Insist on them to go for physical and recreational activities.Last but not least,visit a psychiatrist and help your friend pursue the treatment.
Dr. Satish Ramaiah
13 yrs. of exp | Bangalore | Addiction Psychiatrist

INR 250 for 24 hrs

CHAT NOW
First of all ensure that your friend has seen a psychiatrist and is receiving the appropriate treatment. People around her need to be more empathetic towards her and not sympathetic. Provide time with careful listening without judging or trying to enforce your views. You need to appreciate her emotions. It does not mean you agree with her. But she should feel somebody fully understands her. Ask her to take things as a matter of fact as much as possible. Encourage lifestyle changes like yoga, meditation, relaxation, healthy eating, sleep hygiene and keeping self occupied.
Ms. Tishya Mahindru Shahani
5 yrs. of exp | Vadodara | Psychologist
hi, be a good listener to her, take her for regular walk or yoga. try doing meditation with her, ask her to drink water slowly sip by sip. also take her to a psychologist in your area and seek cognitive behaviour therapy. take care.