Depression, mood swings
My sister seems to be suffering from mind issues. Her career hasnt gone the way she had planned and has gone into depression. She thinks the whole world is against her, picks up fight for petty reasons, sleeps late mostly and we have found her talking to herself loudly many times. Has almost no friends and doesnot like to go out either. When we talk of therapy, she gets really angry. Can you suggest how we can help her and take her to a Psychiatrist without annoying her.
91 Views v

Answers (1)

Like the answers? Chat privately for 24 hours with the doctor of your choice

doctor profile image
Dr. Kavita Sagarkar
Psychiatrist 21 yrs exp Mumbai
Hi, from what you have written your sister may be suffering from Psychosis. She may be fearful of people or feel that people are against her. She may also be having delusions, ie. she may be hearing people talking to her when there is actually no one around. Hence, you notice that she talks or mumbles to herself. She will need evaluation by a Psychiatrist, however it is usually difficult to get such patients to see a psychiatrist willingly, because they usually do not have insight that they have a problem. This disorder requires treatment in the form of medication. Counseling or therapy is only later, once the thought process is better. I would suggest you and your parents maybe,  take an appointment with a Psychiatrist. Give details of her behaviour . In some cases the Psychiatrist may suggest liquid medication drops which can be given to the patient. After she is better on these she can then be persuaded to see the Psychiatrist. The Psychiatrist may also do a home visit or admit and treat the patient occasionally. This is a treatable condition, but please do not delay in getting treatment because your sister may never willing agree to seeing a Psychiatrist. I hope this helps. All the best!
Flag this Answer
Flag this answer
Let others know if this answer was helpful
Was this answer helpful?
Disclaimer : The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding your medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.