Delayed periods/PCOS

Dear Doctor, I have had irregular periods ever since my menarche at the age of 13. I was diagnosed with lean PCOS at 17 and given a 3-month course of OCPs which regularised the periods for a few months only. I also had high prolactin levels which was treated then. I didn't visit an obgyn after that as I was studying away from home and also, taking medicines didn't seem to be a solution. I have moderate hair growth on my body, have small breasts and usually, my periods occur at 45-70 days. However, this time around, I have not had periods for last 5 months (since December 2015). Since I am a virgin, is this only due to PCOS or is it an indication of a severe problem ? Also, I was advised by the obgyn to marry by the age of 25 to be able to conceive in future. Since my career plan doesn't involve having to conceive at 25, will I not be able to conceive at all later even by other methods? Thank you.

Dr. Aparnaa Panda
Gynecologist 19 yrs exp Udupi

Regarding seriousness of not getting cycles....u will have to get urself reassessed by a gynaecologist after an ultrasound. U should recheck ur hormones and take necessary treatment. Please do regular checkups with ur gynaec. For PCO, OCPs are the best form of treatment. U have to trust the doctors who r treating u regarding best mode of treatment for u. OCPs have to be taken from now till u get married and want to concieve. Best to concieve asap. However it is not impossible to concieve after 25 if u have PCO.
Dr. Disha Sridhar
Obstetrician 13 yrs exp Bangalore
Please read my blog on PCOS. Hope that helps.