Constant sore throat
I am suffering from strep throat from past 2 years. It occurs mostly every month. Every time i get tonsils, my tonsils get white and yellowish patches and i get little bumps at the end of my tongue. Medications are temporary heal to this problem. Should i get a permanent surgery to remove the tonsils?

Dr. Vinay S Bhat
ENT/ Otorhinolaryngologist 7 yrs exp Bangalore

your history is suggestive of chronic tonsillitis decision to undergo surgery is completely yours and I think below mentioned information will help you to come to a decision tonsils are paired organs in your body which do not have important functions after 5-6 years of age. sometimes they recurrently get infected leading to a condition known as chronic tonsillitis. this condition can be treated with antibiotics and analgesics during acute episodes. if symptoms are very troublesome and impair our routine activities then surgery gives permanent cure for the condition surgery involves complete removal of both the tonsils under anaesthesia and complete recovery occurs within a week I hope this information helps you to come to a decision