cardiologist-icon

Concor 5. Betablocker

I am taking concor5 since last year and my blood pressure is under control 115/80. Recently studied an article that in UK betablocker is cousing death in 5 years for those who don't have heart problem. My heart is good but dr prescribed concor5 and I have taken to control blood pressure. Kindly put some light should I continue concor5 ? How to change this medicine. Because I want to change.

Doctor Answers (2) on Concor 5. Betablocker

Dr. Anand Nadkarni Pune | Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgeon
That news is about a recommendation ( European  guideline) to use beta blocker routinely for all patients undergoing non cardiac surgery. It has revealed that General risk of death after surgery increases from 2.5 to 3.1 percent. Now considering a 5 year period and total number of surgeries done in UK  it is assumed that this difference in risk may have caused more mortality.It doesn't mean that once you start taking beta blocker you will die in 5 years especially because you're a hypertensive being treated and not a routine unscreened patient undergoing non cardiac surgery. So don't worry  have faith in your doctor and  follow  advise .his/ her experience is always superior to internet search
Dr. Ashish Srivastava Noida | Cardiologist
It's a good drug to control hypertension
It has added benefits besides controlling blood pressures
So you should stick with it
Antihypertensive agents are chosen prudently taking everything into account and not just only blood pressure
So my advice is to stick with it
You can also discuss with your doctor that you want to change the antihypertensive