Chance of rabies?

On Saturday, there was a monkey that came and started trying to open my car door and must have spit on my door handle. Today morning, I touched the handle and used a handkerchief to clean my hands. Later, the handkerchief touched my eyes. Can this transmit rabies?

Doctor Answers (3) on Chance of rabies?

Bangalore | General Physician

INR 150 for 24 hrs

CHAT NOW
Hello there.  I can understand your concern.  You need not worry about it.  Rabies virus doesnt stay alive outside in the environment for long. So i do not think that it would be a problem. And also, the monkey should be harbouring rabies. So do not worry. Nothing will happen.  Just carry on with your day to day life. Best regards. Dr. Anil kumar jain. Bangalore.
Dr Pankaj Kumar
10 yrs. of exp | Delhi | General Physician

INR 200 for 24 hrs

CHAT NOW
No.. it must be mixed with blood. . But to be on safer side consult general physician in your locality. ..
Dr. Harsha
Bangalore | General Physician
Hello there...I can understand your concern. There is very little chance that rabies virus can get transmitted that way. The virus usually doesn't survive for that long outside the body. However if the monkey can be traced and it dies in a few days, then consult a general physician to start on rabies vaccination and immunoglobulins.