Cavity without pain

I have a cavity in lower right jaw, but I am not in pain. My dentist recommends root canal but since I have no pain can I just go with filling?

Doctor Answers (4) on Cavity without pain

Dr. Asha Praveena Bangalore | Periodontist
An obvious cavity with no pain but occasional sensitivity can be treated with a filling. A deep cavity with no pain may also indicate a stage of tooth decay that has destroyed the nerves in the tooth (non vital), therfore no pain. The dentist will take a x ray of the particular tooth and confirms this condition. In this case root canal is needed to save the tooth and prevent the spread of infection.
Dr. Rashmi Punhani Bangalore | Pediatric Dentist
Hi there..do not wait for the pain to come...your tooth infection will not cause you pain if its in borderline stage(ie. Very close to pulp) or if it has become chronic due to neglect. I would suggest you to proceed as your dentist told. Take care...!!
Hi..even a deeper untreated cavity is also a case of root canal. Pain means it got infected. Don't wait for pain to come. So before infection starts start you root canal. Early is always better. More infection means less life span of tooth. Regards
Hi, Pain is not the only criteria for undergoing Root Canal Treatment. The cavity might be deep or it might be very close to the pulp tissue, which houses all nerves n blood supply. If the dentist has taken an X-ray and suggested a Root Canal, trust him/her and do the needful.