Capsular effusion

Hi. I play football and recently i twisted my ankle badly and had swelling, so i applied ice only then i was able to walk. But now also little bit swelling is there along with pain in joints. I got the x-ray done, and report showed no bony trauma but capsular effusion in my right ankle. Can someone please explain what it is, how serious it is and how to treat it?

Doctor Answers (1) on Capsular effusion

Dr. Sitaraman Sundaresan (PT) Bangalore | Geriatric Physiotherapist
Hi. Your condition looks to be a grade 1/2 ankle sprain. Continue ice pack 3/times a day and put weight on the heel are more than the front foot. This would help stabilise the ankle in a better manner. If swelling persists beyond 5 days see a physiotherapist and initiate treatment for the same. Ankle rehab is extremely important not only to better the current condition but to help prevent relapse of the injury. Strengthening and stretches would make a lot of difference . regards.
continue ice packs 3/times per day