Breakup depression

I broke up in Jan this year. Our relation was 6 years long. I tried to forget but Cant. I am still crying for her when I am alone. I can't see anything good in life. Sometimes thinking of suicide but stop because of my mother as she is alone. I am getting depressed day by day. Can a psychiatrist help me.

Doctor Answers (4) on Breakup depression

Dr. Snigdha Mishra Delhi | Counselling Psychologist
Hello,

Your helplessness and difficulty in moving on is understandable.. What choice do you really have here but to move on???

It is common to have such feelings and thoughts after a breakup especially with the time, energy and emotions invested in a relationship. But, there are more adaptive ways to over come this situation.

If you have recurring suicidal thoughts it's strongly recommended that you take immediate help from a trained psychotherapist near you. She/ he can help you with skills to move on from your past. can also guide you into feeling better and reducing your emotional upset.

If there is none in your area, you can take help from someone who does therapy online. Please feel free to get in touch personally and someone from my office will guide you to a good therapist near you.

Dr. Sugandha Gupta Delhi | Psychiatrist
Hello,
To answer you question in most simple terms- yes a psychiatrist can help you, and you should seek help from a psychiatrist at the earliest. Relationship failure can lead to significant distress and despair for an individual, and effects tend to be more pronounced for persons of your age and if the emotional investment into the relationship had been high the effects tend to be stronger. If you are getting suicidal ideas, my strong suggestion for you is to seek a psychiatric consultation as soon as possible. It is very good that the thought of your mother has kept you away from enactment of such ideas, and I would suggest to always keep your mother in mind at times of such thought. However do not delay help seeking as psychological intervention and /or medication can help you get back to your life... Best wishes and luck.. Please remember that you are not alone, and help is available if you take the first step..
Ms. Hema Sampath Bangalore | Clinical Psychologist
I  know it us painful. What made u both to take such a decision? ?
If you can recall the situation  due to which you have taken a.major decision I think you can overcome this bad feeling.
Still if u feel that u hv tried every possible methods and wanted to live a peaceful normal life,  do visit a Psychologist/Counsellor and resolve this issue at the earliest.
Harisha N L Bangalore | General Physician
Hello my friend...just remember "Broken heart and shattered dreams are key mentors for weaving a glorious destiny."...Consult nearest psychiatrist as you require detailed counseling session and you may require medications to solve your problems as many things can't be discussed in forum like this...With that fallow relaxation techniques like yoga, meditation,avoid alcohol, smoking, coffee, tea...have good sleep and develop healthy food habits..good luck