Brandy for Kids

My son is 4yrs old. And it doesn’t matter a kid is older than 4yrs or younger than 4yrs; some of my family members prefer Brandy even for a kid, if he/she is suffering from cough and cold. Even I have seen a statutory warning on the Brandy bottle so I am confused. Is it recommended? And What can be the negative effects of Brandy, if it’s given to a Kid for cough and cold?

Dr. Bhalchandra M Jayakar
Pediatric Surgeon 16 yrs exp Mumbai

Medications for kids have to fulfil two main objectives: treat the illness with minimal side effects and more importantly, not have addiction potential.  Alcohol (Brandy) may fulfil the first when given for cough, but addictive potential of alcohol is well known. Logic before following the crowd. Please don't even think of such things when it comes to children.

Hello... It is counter irritant may inhibit dry cough, but all liquors have alcohol which is not good for health especially in children ,an extra cup could lead to complication like acidosis .. So better to use cough syp for dry cough, if it's throat infection with could infection has to resolve, brandy won't help...