BPD and depression

I've struggled with Borderline Personality Disorder and varying degrees of depression since I was a teen. It wasn't easy for me to seek help but after a long time i did a few months ago. The doc prescribed treatment for my depression but wouldn't even discuss my BPD or my trichotillomania. The anti depressants and mood stabilisers prescribed made me feel miserable and I stopped them after ten days, never went back to the doc. I'm going through a worse phase right now with my depression but I'm hesitant to talk about the bpd again. Among other concerns I worry about requiring prolonged treatment which will be expensive And may lead to family and friends finding out about my condition. While I actually want to tell people close to me, unfortunately awareness and understanding of mental illness in our country is dismal. Please suggest if you have experience with treating BPD and what you think the best course of action is for me.

Doctor Answers (3) on BPD and depression

Dr. Sugandha Gupta Delhi | Psychiatrist
Hello,
You are very correct when you say "awareness and understanding of mental illness in our country is dismal." However all efforts must be made to destigmatize mental illness or persons suffering from  mentally illness, and an inclusionary approach of bringing them into mainstream of society.
Coming back to your query about your health issues, I would like to say that Borderline Personality Disorder is a complex and difficult disorder to treat and a higher degree of expertise and experience is required by a clinician to help persons suffering from BPD, and comirbid mental health issues. Depressive disorder, anxiety symptoms can commonly co-occur with BPD, and would require specific treatment.

Best course of action in treatment of BPD is combination of psychological intervention with medication as per profile of BPD. No two cases of BPD are same and there are subtle differences in presentation and management approaches which will be suitable for each client. Yes, the cost of treatment is significant but if that is a major concern you may choose a government set up for treatment.
Hope I have answered most of your queries.

Best wishes for your health and future.

Please consult a psychiatrist for assessment and charting out a management plan for you.
BPD treatment course may be long, but with a well planned management improvement can be definitive and persons can live a healthy life. Best wishes..
Ms. Hema Sampath Bangalore | Clinical Psychologist
Hello,  I  think along with those medication and treatment You require some counselling  sessions,  which would help you in sharing your feelings and emotions you undergo and by that you might get a  relaxation felling and solution to it . Because once you pour it out to someone , you normally get a clarity and hence you can get better  ideas to live your life cheerful with a great amount of peace in it.
Dr. Chethan R S Bangalore | General Physician
Hi..... Take steps to control stress, to increase your resilience and boost your self-esteem. Reach out to family and friends, especially in times of crisis, to help you weather rough spells. Get treatment at the earliest sign of a problem to help prevent depression from worsening. Consider getting long-term maintenance treatment to help prevent a relapse of symptoms..... Consult your Psychiatrist.....