cardiologist-icon

Bp measurement

Why does BP decrease after first measurement?we measured bp and it was 135 and after 2 mins gap we measured again ,it was 124. Which is the correct reading here?

Doctor Answers (3) on Bp measurement

Dr. Swathi S Aithal Bangalore | General Physician
Hello..
Well it might be manual error there is no rule of changing bp..I suggest you to go for digital bo apparatus reading as it will be more accurate ..hope am clear enough...thank you
Dr. Rama S.K Pune | Internal Medicine
BP measurement needs proper cuff application. .proper posture with arm rest and clinician competency.....bp measurement at home by oscillometric method instruments are useful in self monitoring of BP and are useful but again mental and physical stress do have impact on BP reading which might be in your case. .....so ideally we take 3 readings in 3 different opd visit by patient in 1 week before concluding that his bp is raised(ofcourse with no target organ damage)
Dr. Anil Kumar Jain Bangalore | General Physician
Hello there. 

I can understand your concern. 
Blood pressure doesn't stay the same thoroughout the day  it keeps changing.
The best way to measure Blood Pressure is by using a mercurial blood pressure machine rather than the electronic ones.
There is low accuracy in certain electronic ones and there is a lot of fluctuation also.
Consult a general physician in person for further evaluation and management. 
Best regards.
Dr. Anil kumar jain.
Bangalore.