Bells palsy

Hi. I had got herpes zoster (shingles) two weeks back. I had rashes on left side if neck and shoulder. I consulted dermatologist and rashes were cleared. During that period I had neck pain on the left side. When I thought that it was cured,that zoster virus effected my cranial nerve which controls the facial movements. Now I'm not able to twitch my left eye properly, I had no complete grip of my mouth, unable to smile two sides. I consulted general physician and he prescribed me steroids,antibiotics for virus, and phsyio. 1. Even though I'm able to bear the galvanic current, they seems to be little heavy for me I'm afraid my nerves get weak if they got used to that current . 2. Also, the nerve root which is present little down to the left ear is responding only little to the max galvanic current passed. So is it okay to continue the same amnt of galvanic current that I'm currently having ? What do I need to take care for the root of that nerve to respond to stimuli?
views-icons 81 Views bookmarks-icon 1 Bookmark 1 Share Bookmark this Answer

Doctor Answers (4) on Bells palsy

Dr. Shipra Kumari (PT) Kolkata | Physiotherapist
Your problem can be treated within 20 days of physio treatment. I would suggest along with Galvanic stimulation you should take faradic stimulation on facial nerve root. And assessing your facial movement a physio can judge based on the movement you should switch from galvanic stimulation to faradic. Also you have to do alot of facial exercises which I can demonstrate if you could consult. https://www.facebook.com/drshipraphysio/
Dr. D Giridhar Balaji., PT Hyderabad | Clinical Physiotherapist
Yes the best option is galvanic current your muscles should respond to plz chek with different company stimulator or other physiotherapy set up.
Dr. Chethan R S Bangalore | General Physician
Hello there....., The only form of electrical current which could be used on face is interrupted direct current (I.D.C.). This is only to preserve the bulk of facial muscle and to prevent their atrophy until reinnervations or reconditioning completes. There is no room for the use of faradic current use on the face as it could lead to cause secondary contractures of the face....Follow the instructions given by your Physician....
Sharath Kumar K N Mandya | General Physician
hello, yes some times herpes virus could affect and cause facial nerve palsy. continue the same treatment given by your doctor , you will see complete recovry but 2weeks is too early to expect recovery . you need to be patient for few mor weeks and need to complete the treatment till full course and continue physiotherapy.