Autistic behaviour

My son is 1 years and 9 months now. He's not talking, not even a single word. He also problem with socialising, don't like new people coming to his place and visiting someone's place. Doctor is hinting that its autism. I want to know chances of recovery in autism and whether the severity increases with age or it get decrease.

Doctor Answers (1) on Autistic behaviour

Dr. Amit Jagtiani Agra | Psychiatrist
Autism is a lifetime diagnosis. There is no cure for autism. You must understand that there are some areas in which your child is lagging, some areas would be normal, and he might be better than others in some areas of functioning. You need to get him evaluated by a child psychiatrist or a pediatric neurologist for proper diagnosis and assement of his deficits. It is important to rule out any medical illnesses that may mimick autism like Landau-kleffner syndrome. Do get an EEG done even if he has seizures or not. After thorough assessment he might be started on therapy for autism. There are not many centres in india giving good therapy to such children. Look for good therapy centres near your place. One important centre for autistic children is Action for Autism in Jasola, new delhi. It is a national centre for autisistic children and offers good assessment and therapeutic services. Remember, earlier you start intervention, better is the prognisis.