Autism spectrum dessorder

Hi, I would like to mention that, my son has some speach problem, & doctors identified as Autism. I need to know is there any kind of treatment for Autism & expedentures. how long the treatment will takes place. Regards Ramesh M ph: 9902 97 3557

Doctor Answers (1) on Autism spectrum dessorder

Dr. D. S. Poonia Jaipur | Psychiatrist
Hi, Autistic child have an inadequate appreciation of socio-emotional cues, as shown by a lack of responses to other people's emotions and/or a lack of modulation of behaviour according to social context; poor use of social signals and a weak integration of social, emotional, and communicative behaviours; and, especially, a lack of socio-emotional reciprocity. Similarly language and communication skills are also poor. These children also have restricted, repetitive, and stereotyped patterns of behaviour, interests, and activities. Autistic children also have other problems like fear/phobias, sleeping and eating disturbances, temper tantrums, and aggression. Self-injury (e.g. by wrist-biting) is fairly common, especially when there is associated severe mental retardation. management of such condition involves both pharmacological as well as non pharmacological depending on problems like for speech we use speech therapy and for behavioural problem use medicine. regarding duration of treatment we cant say anything as it depends on person to person as well as severity and frequency of symptoms and associated dysfunction. Generally it will last for years.