Ankle tissue injury

Earlier this year, in February I rolled my left ankle while playing football. Initially it looked a normal sprain but the pain and swelling was too much and remained same for 2 days. I got an x-ray done and consulted an orthopedic doctor. He said there's a damage to the 'soft tissues or ligaments' around ankle. The leg was put in plaster for first three weeks and i've been using Tynor ankle binder ever since removing the plaster. doc had said it'll take total of 45-50 days to be able to ease back into sports activities. but In fact it took me over 60 days to even walk without crutches. I slowly resumed playing football after nearly 4 months of proper rest since the injury. Today its been over 5 months and i still experience occasional pain and discomfort in the ankle. How sever was my injury and what should i do about it now? Do i need any special exercises or a therapy?

Doctor Answers (4) on Ankle tissue injury

Dr. Puneet Yadav Lucknow | Physiotherapist
it wasnt a grade 3 ligament sprain. otherwise doc would have suggested you for arhtoscopic surgery. grade 1 and 2 ankle sprains shows enourmous swelling and joint stiffness post inflammation. after cast removal joint mobilisation, muscle strenthening as well as proprioceptive training is must for fastest recovery which was surely lacking in your case. without proper rehab i have seen cases with symptoms even for years. so better to go for ankle rehab asap. consult a good sports or ortho physiotherapist. get well soon.
Dr. Rajiv Mehta Delhi | Physiotherapist
After a ligament injury proper rehabilitation is needed to resume sports activities. The treatment u took is good for repair u will not feel much pain but for heavy activity like sports u need more rehabilitation as sports person do. Kindly visit a qualified, experienced and registered physiotherapist for a rehab protocol. U can consult us on skype too to know more visit www.physiotherapistdelhi.in
Saurabh Bhalla Delhi | Occupational Therapist
Yes, Your Injury appears to be a Grade 3 Severe degree sprain. Investigations now won't be of that much help. It is advisable to get yourself reviewed from sport physiotherapist of your club / nearby. So that She/He may be able to provide you with modalities such as UltraSound which helps to heal faster. and also, Some Range of motion exercise to restore back full range and few strengthening exercises for ankle to strengthen your foot so that you can be back in the game as soon as possible
Seek Counsultation from Sports Physiotherapist/ Ortho - Physiotherapist. and Stay calm. It should be matter of 3 weeks or so to get your normal walk restored and another 2 weeks more to back to game. wear ankle and shin supports when you are back in game.
DON'T LOOSE ANY MORE TIME. STAY HEALTHY
Dr. Sanesh Tuteja Mumbai | Orthopedic Surgeon
I think your symptoms warrant further investigations. An MRI would be helpful