Alcoholism

Sir, I am serving in Army. I was a habitual drinker before 3 years. Now a days whenever I go to leave I loss my control and start drinking alcohol. As a result there is happen some family problems. My mind is fully disturbed. Often I feel very depressed which effects my professional life. I want release myself from these problems and want to live a peaceful social life. Please help me

Doctor Answers (5) on Alcoholism

Dr. Bhupinderjit Kaur Waraich Chandigarh | Addiction Psychiatrist
Alcohol dependence is a chronic problem which usually increase with time. So even though one may plan to drink 1-2 drinks, there is loss of control. And people end up drinking more. Basically it is a sign of developing dependence. There are medicines which help in cutting down craving for alcohol. Meet a psychiatrist regularly and get help.
Assesment of mood related issue is very important for u. Appropiate treatment can help u a lot after proper assesment.
treatment of alcohol abuse along wd depression is necessary. best wishes
Dr. Sugandha Gupta Delhi | Psychiatrist
Hello,
What I have understood is that you were taking regular and excessive amount of alcohol till three years back. Now the alcohol intake is rapidly escalated and problematic when you are on leave. The social and family related consequences of this alcohol intake has been bothering you. You are also suffering from low mood and it has begun to affect your professional life.

I would like to suggest the following approach to your problems.
1. Identify alcohol use as problematic and promise to yourselves to make efforts to leave alcohol.
2. Take help from a psychiatrist to provide medication and psychological intervention to help you get out of alcohol habit and related problems.
3. Join a group like alcoholics anonymous, to help you quit alcohol.

Alcohol dependence is a medical disorder like all others and taking medical help will only help you get out of this vicious cycle of alcohol use and social- personal problems. Hope this helps you..

consult a psychiatrist who can assess the alcohol use and your mental state before arriving at a management plan.
Ms. Hema Sampath Bangalore | Clinical Psychologist
First salute to you as an Army man.
IS there any diff5of opinion between you and ur wife or with your parents? ???
I think you need to resolve that first to handle the urge and the behaviour consequence of it.
Do you really want to come home nowadays OR is it forceful.due to your due holidays?????
Check all these questions  !!!!!
If possible before you leave back to your regiment do consult a Psychological Counsellor and understand to handle these issues and continue to serve our country with a lot of peace inside you.
Problems with alcoholism are very common in the armed forces due to high stress levels that are faced by the personnel and easy accessibility to alcohol. It is also known to have a significant impact on your health as well as domestic, social and occupational life. It is best to seek professional help as soon as possible. Don't feel ashamed of asking for treatment as you will be doing it for the betterment of your life. Go to the army psychiatrist. Depending on where you are posted, you may also be able to visit a civilian addiction specialist for the same.
It is often seen that the motivation to quit taking alcohol has a fluctuating level. You may feel very motivated to quit on one day and not so much on the other. Therefore it is advisable to seek help as soon as you feel like quitting alcohol and not keep waiting.