Alcoholic Father

He drinks regularly and creates  Violence and abusive nature towards family , threatening for suicide. We tried many ways of medicine to stop his drinking problem but every time he do false promises. But when he stop drinking for few days his nature is like best father. Its like dual personality. How to stop this prob?
views-icons 28 Views 1 Share Bookmark this Answer

Doctor Answers (2) on Alcoholic Father

Your father is suffering from Alcohol Dependence Syndrome and Addiction disease. He needs to get admitted in a General Hospital for Detoxification and then after few days of medical stabilization,  he needs to be treated effectively during the Deaddiction and Rehabilitation process. This is a long and recurrent treatment process.
Dr. Shwetank Bansal Delhi | Psychiatrist
I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you and your family is going through. Alcohol dependence is something that requires comprehensive combined management through medicines and psychotherapy. With optimal management, the patient's will power can be gradually restored, while ensuring that he doesn't suffer from any alcohol withdrawal effects. Another thing to consider is the physical damage to the body due to frequent alcohol use, which also requires detailed evaluation.

Overall, it is important to note that medicines alone will not solve the problem in the long run . It has to be a combined approach. I advise you to see a psychiatrist for a detailed evaluation of your father, and initiation of combined medical and psychotherapeutic management.