Addiction of cigarette

I had a very bad cigarette and weed addiction. I am going into depression and my days are like waste. Feel so useless from inside. Feel weak and low self respect. Please help me to take control over myself.

Dr. Anjendra R Targe
Psychiatrist 6 yrs exp Pune

Hello, The addiction of nicotine is one of the most difficult ones to quit. So if you have successfully managed to quit smoking and the cannabis, that's great news. It is common for individuals to feel the blues or feel depressed after quitting the substance they were abusing. The key now, sustaining that abstinence, since the depressive feelings that you are experincing now might take you back to the smoking habit. You have to be patient. Get yourselves a consultation with a Psychiatrist, so that he can offer you counseling and medication, if needed, to help you get through this difficult phase of abstinence, and subsequesntly maintan it. Your situation is very muvh amenable to treatment. Just seek professional help at the earliest.
Ms. Vidhi Shah Prabhu
Clinical Psychologist 7 yrs exp Bangalore
Hi, since how long have you quit smoking and smoking up? You could be experiencing withdrawal symptoms which is very natural so don't worry too much. However, the depression bit is something you should be concerned about. Its not easy to quit and maintain the will power. Support system plays a very important role in encouraging you to take healthy steps. However, it would also be much better if you could get a couple of counseling sessions done so that you can continue staying on the right track. Remember, the step you have taken is not an easy one so always be proud of that. And if you can get through this you can get through the rest as well.