Abnormal bleeding

I got my periods delayed by 10 days last month. Then it lasted for 10 days which otherwise lasts for 4-5 days only. After that I experienced very light spotting for the next few days. Then again I got my periods on the exact date when it occurred last month. The flow is comparatively more than the regular flow. Please help..really worried!

Doctor Answers (1) on Abnormal bleeding

Dr. Chethan R S Bangalore | General Physician
Hello there.., In a normal menstrual cycle, a balance between the hormones estrogen and progesterone regulates the buildup of the lining of the uterus (endometrium), which is shed during menstruation. If a hormone imbalance occurs, mentrual irregularities occurs.. Periods can be delayed for a single cycle or it can be delayed in every cycle. If the delay is in only a single cycle, the most likely cause is a temporary cause like stress. If the periods are delayed but regular in every cycle, then the chances are that the woman has a naturally long menstrual cycle and that this delay in her periods is normal for her