12xxxxxxx8558

I am very sensitive to how people perceive me . whenever I talk to someone except my mother I an very cautious of what to say in fact i m a bit scared to be honest if it's between 4-5 or more people. The problem is whenever I reply something foolish which I do mostly. .. I after the incident become depressed with only that sentence of mine. I regret , feel guilty, always go through self shaming cry. I don't know what to say or talk about to people with whom I don't talk on a regular basis. My mother is the person with whom I share every thing . please suggest me how should I face these situations. Why am I so awkward. It's happening since 4-5 yrs .I shouldn't be so self cautious. One more thing I would like to add of someone says something negative about me then it becomes very difficult to overcome that ( for weeks) i am not able to reply anything , stand for myself at least. It makes me very sad :'( how can I help myself and have self confidence .

Doctor Answers (2) on 12xxxxxxx8558

Ms. Hema Sampath Bangalore | Clinical Psychologist
Hi May  u know what r u actually doing now?!!  Of u r at home better  go out and start looking for a Job OR
If u r  working start making the mistakes like this and gain confidence about yourself  after u go home dwell on those mistakes and rectify it for not repeating again. It means u hv overcome to face those situations and u hv experience to face of any situation arise in the future .
Also visit a Counsellor in your city and learn to handle yourself.
Dr. Satish Ramaiah Bangalore | Addiction Psychiatrist
Your description suggests likely social anxiety which makes you get into automatic negative thoughts about yourself and your behavior in social situations with perceived negative judgement by others. This can lead to avoidance behavior and increased physical anxiety and psychological discomfort. This condition is treatable. You need to consult a psychiatrist for assessment to rule out any underlying physical health condition and then treatment using cognitive behavior therapy techniques and lifestyle changes with or without medicine. Regards