Frequently asked questions
What is Breast Reduction?
Surgical procedure which is used to reduce the size of breast by removing the excess fat and tissue is called Breast Reduction surgery. It helps in achieving a proportionate body shape.
What can be the advantages of Breast Reduction?
Applications of Breast Reduction are the following:
- Relieves discomfort and pain caused by heavy breasts
- Makes the breasts firmer and proportionate
- Avoids the skin irritation due to rupture of the breasts to the skin
- Improves the quality of life, mental health, and overall self-esteem
What are the indications of Breast Reduction?
To get Breast Reduction, following may be the reasons:
- Severe back, neck, and shoulder pain
- Difficulty due to large breasts
- Irritation and rashes under the breasts
- Restricted activity due to large breastsNerve pain
What is the preparation for Breast Reduction?
- About the risks, complications, and uses of Breast Reduction should be discussed with the doctor.
- Stop smoking.
- Expected breast size and appearance should be well discussed with the doctor before undergoing the surgery.
- The breast photos will be taken before and after the surgery for comparison.
- The doctor may suggest undergoing a few lab tests and other examinations.
- The patient should inform about past and present medical and medications history to the doctor.
- The medical condition of the patient may be checked by the doctor before undergoing Breast Reduction.
- The surgeon will mark the areas on the breast just to confirm how much size and what shape do the patient need.
- The patient should sign a consent form before undergoing this surgery/procedure.
What are the steps involved in Breast Reduction?
Breast Reduction involves the following steps:
- General anesthesia will be given to the patient to avoid pain during the surgery.
- An incision is made around the region of the nipple. Excess breast tissue, skin, and fat are removed to reduce the size of the breasts.
- Then, the breast will be reshaped and the nipple will be repositioned.
- The incision will be closed with the help of sutures.
What is the post-surgery/procedure care taken for patients?
- Restrict the physical activity for at least two to four weeks after your surgery.
- Keep the chest area clean all the time to avoid infection.
- Make follow up visits to the doctor to remove sutures and to know if the sutures are healed or not.
- Excess fluid or blood will be drained.
- Avoid using underwire bras for at least a few months.
- Take the prescribed painkillers and antibiotics, if pain and swelling are present in the chest region.
- Avoid sleeping on the stomach or sideways and sleep on the back.
Doctors from which specialty can perform this Breast Reduction?
Breast Reduction may be performed by:
- Cosmetic Surgeon
- Skilled Plastic Surgeon
What is the price of Breast Reduction in Chennai?
Expenses for Breast Reduction in Chennai changes due to the following factors:
- Medical condition of the patient
- Surgeon's fee
- Admission fee
- Age of the patient
- Type of Hospital
- The admission room that you opted for
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc
- Type of surgery planned to be performed.
Minimum amount to be paid in Chennai starts from Rs. 90,000
Average charges in Chennai is approximately Rs. 1,49,000
Maximum cost in Chennai rises up to Rs. 2,30,000
Is Breast Reduction a major or minor surgery?
Breast Reduction may be a major surgery as it involves reducing and reshaping the large and saggy breasts.
What is the eligibility criteria for Breast Reduction?
- People with large and sagging breasts.
- Women above 18 years of age.
What is the ineligibility criteria for Breast Reduction?
Patients with some medical conditions such as heart problems, diabetes, etc.
- Patients with a chronic breast infection
- Individuals whose breasts aren't fully developed
- People suffering from obesity
- Individuals who are chronic smokers
What are the risks and complications of Breast Reduction?
Breast Reduction has the following risks and complications:
- Pain in the breast
- Infection of the breast
- Loss of sensation in and around the nipples and sometimes even the skin
- Irregular shape of the breast
How much time does it take to complete Breast Reduction?
Breast Reduction may take about 2 to 5 hours to complete.
What is the success rate of Breast Reduction?
A few factors may determine the success rate of Breast Reduction and they are:
- Medical condition of the patient
- Experience of the surgeon
- Patient's age
- Type of surgery or procedure performed
However, the success rate of Breast Reduction is almost 90%.
Does Breast Reduction hurt the patient?
The patient won't feel any kind of pain during the surgery due to the effect of general anesthesia.
Is Breast Reduction a permanent surgery?
Breast Reduction is a permanent surgery as it reduces and reshapes the size of the breasts.
What can be the long-term effects of Breast Reduction?
- Decreases all the symptoms and discomfort caused by the heavy breasts.
- Breast size may increase even after the surgery after a few years.
Is it possible to be detected in the future?
Due to the presence of scars at the site of surgery, Breast reduction may be detected in the future.
What measures can be taken if Breast Reduction fails?
The doctor may suggest revision surgery in case of a failed Breast Reduction.
Are there any alternatives to Breast Reduction?
Alternatives for Breast Reduction are:
- Power assisted liposuction (PAL)
- losing weight with the help of exercise, diet, yoga, etc.