Frequently asked questions
What is Breast Reduction and who can perform?
Surgical procedure which is used to reduce the size of the breast by removing the excess fat and tissue is called Breast Reduction surgery. It helps in achieving a proportionate body shape.
Breast Reduction is performed by
- Skilled Plastic Surgeon
- Cosmetic Surgeon
What are the applications of Breast Reduction?
Applications of Breast Reduction are the following:
- Makes the breasts firmer and proportionate
- Improves the quality of life, mental health, and overall self-esteem
- Avoids the skin irritation due to rupture of the breasts to the skin
- Relieves discomfort and pain caused by heavy breasts
What are the reasons to get Breast Reduction?
To get Breast Reduction, the following may be the reasons:
- Difficulty due to large breasts
- Restricted activity due to large breasts
- Irritation and rashes under the breasts
- Nerve pain
- Severe back, neck, and shoulder pain
What are the preparations required for Breast Reduction?
- The patient should inform about past and present medical and medication history to the doctor.
- Expected breast size and appearance should be well discussed with the doctor before undergoing the surgery.
- The health condition of the patient may be checked by the doctor before undergoing Breast Reduction.
- The breast photos will be taken before and after the surgery for comparison.
- The doctor may suggest undergoing a few lab tests and other examinations.
- About the risks, complications, and uses of Breast Reduction should be discussed with the doctor.
- The surgeon will mark the areas on the breast just to confirm how much size and what shape do the patient need.
- Stop smoking.
- Before the surgery, the patient should sign a consent form.
What is the stepwise procedure for performing Breast Reduction?
Breast Reduction involves the following steps:
- General anesthesia will be given to the patient to avoid pain during the surgery.
- An incision is made around the region of the nipple.
- Excess breast tissue, skin, and fat are removed to reduce the size of the breasts.
- Then, the breast will be reshaped and the nipple will be repositioned.
- The incision will be closed with the help of sutures.
What is the post-surgery/procedure care taken for patients?
- Excess fluid or blood will be drained.
- Avoid using underwire bras for at least a few months.
- Avoid sleeping on the stomach or sideways and sleep on the back.
- Make follow up visits to the doctor to remove sutures and to know if the sutures are healed or not.
- Take the prescribed painkillers and antibiotics, if pain and swelling are present in the chest region.
- Restrict the physical activity for at least two to four weeks after your surgery.
- Keep the chest area clean all the time to avoid infection.
How much amount should pay for Breast Reduction in Delhi?
Charges for Breast Reduction in Delhi may change depending on the factors such as:
- Health condition of the patient
- The admission room that you opted for
- Type of hospital
- Surgeon fee
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- Age of the patient
- Type of surgery planned to be performed
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc
- Admission fee
Minimum price in Delhi starts from Rs. 25,000
Average expenses in Delhi is approximately Rs.1,30,850
Maximum cost in Delhi rises up to Rs. 2,00,000
Is Breast Reduction a major or minor surgery?
Breast Reduction may be a major surgery as it involves reducing and reshaping the large and saggy breasts.
What is the criteria required for the patients to undergo Breast Reduction?
- Women above 18 years of age.
- People with large and sagging breasts.
Who cannot undergo Breast Reduction?
- Individuals who are chronic smokers
- People suffering from obesity
- Patients with some medical conditions such as heart problems, diabetes, etc.
- Individuals whose breasts aren't fully developed
- Patients with a chronic breast infection
What are the risks and complications of Breast Reduction?
Breast Reduction has the following risks and complications:
- The irregular shape of the breast
- Loss of sensation in and around the nipples and sometimes even the skin
- Breast infection
- Pain in the breast
What is the time required to complete Breast Reduction?
Breast Reduction may take about 2 to 5 hours to complete.
What is the success rate of Breast Reduction?
A few factors may determine the success rate of Breast Reduction and they are:
- Patient age
- Type of surgery performed
- Experience of the surgeon
- Medical condition of the patient
However, the success rate of Breast Reduction is almost 90%.
Does a patient experience any pain during Breast Reduction?
The patient won't feel any kind of pain during the surgery due to the effect of general anesthesia.
Is Breast Reduction a permanent surgery?
Breast Reduction is a permanent surgery as it reduces and reshapes the size of the breasts.
What can be the long-term effects of Breast Reduction?
- Breast size may increase even after the surgery after a few years.
- Decreases all the symptoms and discomfort caused by the heavy breasts.
Is it possible to be detected in the future?
Due to the presence of scars at the site of surgery, Breast reduction may be detected in the future.
What can be done if Breast Reduction fails?
The doctor may suggest revision surgery in case of a failed Breast reduction.
What are the alternative methods for Breast Reduction?
Other options for Breast Reduction are the following:
- Losing weight with the help of exercise, diet, yoga, etc.
- Power-assisted liposuction (PAL)