45 doctors available in Vadodara
Book appointments with minimum wait-time & verified doctor details
1. What is traction?
Traction is the practice of gently pulling on a dislocated or a fractured body part.
2. What is a traction pin?
Traction pins are used in fractured bones. Either a pin, screw or wire is placed in the fractured bone. Once any of these devices are placed, weights are attached to the bone and the bone is pulled back into its correct position.
3. What is traction care used for?
Traction care is used to guide a body part back into its original position. It is also done to:
• Correct constricted and stiff skin, muscles, tendons or joints
• Prevent painful muscle spasms
• Treat conditions that affect the bones like scoliosis
• Reduce post-surgery pain and pain from a fracture
4. Can traction help reduce back pain?
Traction therapy helps separate the spaces between the vertebrae of your spine. By doing this, it reduces the pressure from pinched off nerves in the spine, thereby, improving spine mobility and reducing back pain.
5. Are there any side effects of traction?
There are no long-term side effects of traction, especially spinal traction. Some people experience pain and muscle spasms right after the traction treatment, which last for a short duration. In rare cases, there is a risk of bleeding from the traction pin, damage to the surrounding tissue, injury to the nerve, an infection at the site of the pin, or bleeding.