Frequently Asked Questions
What is Varicocelectomy?
Varicocelectomy is the surgical removal of the varicocele. A varicocele is the enlargement of the veins in the scrotum. A scrotum is a sac which contains testicles. A varicocele will block the blood flow to the reproductive organs. Due to improper blood flow, the blood pools up in the scrotum and gets enlarged. This will affect the sperm count.
What are the advantages of Varicocelectomy?
The following are the advantages of Varicocelectomy:
- It is an outpatient procedure
- The recovery time is very fast
- The success rate of Varicocelectomy is very high
- No scarring involved
What are the indications of Varicocelectomy?
The following are the indications of Varicocelectomy:
- Infertility in males
- Low sperm count (oligospermia)
- Reduced sperm motility (asthenospermia)
What is the preparation for Varicocelectomy?
The following are the preparation steps for Varicocelectomy:
- Follow all the instructions given by the doctor or surgeon.
- Take food and drinks as instructed by the doctor.
- The patient may be asked to stop eating and drinking for at least 8 hours before the procedure.
- In case you are using any medications, inform your doctor about it and take them as directed.
What are the steps involved in Varicocelectomy?
The following are the steps involved in the Varicocelectomy:
- General anesthesia is given to sedate and relaxes the patient.
- A bladder catheter is inserted to pass the urine.
- A small incision is made by the doctor to pass a laparoscope to operate.
- Gas is introduced into your abdomen to make some space.
- Surgical tools are inserted through other incisions.
- The enlarged veins that are blocking the blood flow are cut with the help of these tools.
- Sometimes instead of a laparoscope, the doctor performs an open surgery by making a large incision.
What is the postprocedure care/recovery care for Varicocelectomy?
The following are the post-care steps for Varicocelectomy:
- The patient will be shifted to the recovery room after the surgery and may take rest for about 2 hours.
- There may be swelling of the scrotum for which the patient is advised to place an ice pack on the scrotum for 10 minutes. Repeat this procedure.
- Take antibiotics and medicines as prescribed by the doctor.
- Follow all instructions given by the doctor without fail.
- Take ample rest.
- The patient can return to normal activities after 4 to 7 days.
- Avoid having sex for up to 2 weeks.
- Do not swim or do strenuous exercises.
Who can perform Varicocelectomy [Right specialist type for Varicocelectomy]?
Varicocelectomy can be performed by a certified and skilled Urologist who is well experienced in Varicocelectomy.
What is the cost of Varicocelectomy?
Cost of Varicocelectomy depends on factors such as:
- Admission fee
- Doctor fee
- Type of hospital
- Age of the patient
- Type of procedure
- The medical condition of the patient
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- The admission room that you opted for
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as scanning, etc.
Minimum expenses in Pune starts from Rs.40,000
Average amount to be paid in Pune is approximately Rs.65,000
Maximum charges in Pune rise up to Rs.80,000
Is Varicocelectomy a major surgery or minor surgery?
Varicocelectomy is a minor surgery that involves small incisions.
What is the eligibility criteria for Varicocelectomy?
The following are the eligibility criteria for Varicocelectomy:
- Patients of all age groups can undergo this procedure
- Patients with severe symptoms like pain and discomfort
What is the ineligibility criteria for Varicocelectomy?
The following are the ineligibility criteria for Varicocelectomy:
- Active infection at the surrounding area that is to be operated
- Bleeding disorders
- Patients using blood thinners
What are the risks and complications associated with Varicocelectomy?
The following are the risks involved in Varicocelectomy:
- Blood clots
- Hydrocele (fluid accumulation around the testicles)
- Abnormal swelling
- Drainage from incisions
- Difficulty while urinating
- Allergic reaction to anesthesia
How long does it take to complete Varicocelectomy?
Varicocelectomy procedure on each side may take about 30 minutes and to complete both sides, it may take about 1 hour.
What is the recovery time?
The patient may be completely recovered within 2-3 weeks after the surgery.
What is the success rate of Varicocelectomy?
The success rate of Varicocelectomy is approximately 71.7%.
Is Varicocelectomy painful?
Every surgery comes with a certain level of pain and some discomfort. You won't be experiencing pain during this process because you will be under anesthesia.
Is Varicocelectomy permanent?
Varicocelectomy is not a permanent procedure. Sometimes there might be a recurrence of the Varicocele and the procedure has to be repeated.
Can Varicocelectomy be detected in the future?
Varicocelectomy cannot be detected in the future as it involves only small incisions that can be cured.
What are the options if Varicocelectomy fails?
If Varicocelectomy fails then the doctor may recommend revision surgery.
What are the alternatives for Varicocelectomy?
The alternatives for Varicocelectomy are:
- Change in diet
- Kegel exercises
- Herbal medicine
- Varicocele embolization