Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
What is Hair Transplant?
Hair transplant is a type of surgery wherein the area of the body with little or no hair is filled with hair follicles from the area of the body with ample hair follicles. In other words, the hair follicles are transplanted from one site to another. The site from which the hair follicles are taken is called the donor site while the receiving part is called the recipient site. This surgery is primarily done for treating the male baldness. But it can be used for restoring hair growth in eyebrows, eyelashes, chest hair, pubic hair, etc. It is done by a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon. There are various places for getting a hair transplant in Pune offering expert guidance. One can choose from a plethora of options that suit his/her requirement.
What are the causes of male pattern baldness?
Male pattern baldness or androgenetic alopecia is a common phenomenon affecting the majority of males as they advance in age. The most common reasons include the following:
- Genetic factors
- Level of testosterone and androgen
- Side-effects of some medicines
- Cancer and its medications and therapies like radiation and chemotherapy
- Nutritional deficiencies like deficiency of vitamin A
- Psychological factors
- Thyroid diseases
- Environmental factors
- Scalp infections
- Particular hairstyles like tight ponytails for long periods of time
What are the types of Hair Transplant surgeries?
The types of hair transplant surgeries depend upon two factors. The first is the type of procedure used and the second is the mode of procedure.
On the basis of the type of procedure used, it is of two types, namely:
- Follicular unit extraction (FUE): It is also known as a follicular transfer. The individual follicular units are extracted using tiny punches in this procedure, which are then inserted into the grafting sites. The density depends upon the level of baldness and also the natural hair pattern. It is a highly effective method and leaves negligible scars. As it involves only the removal of follicles, only tiny scars remain which are invisible to the naked eye.
- Strip harvesting: It involves removal of a hairy strip of scalp from the posterior region and its subsequent grafting on the recipient site. The donor skin should have active hair follicles. It is a more popular method owing to the lower cost. But since the process involves removal of skin, the scars are deep. These days, a new technique, trichophytic closure, ensures finer scars.
On the basis of the mode of the procedure, the hair transplantation procedure is of two types:
- Manual hair transplant: In this, the punches on the scalp involved in hair follicle transfer are done manually by the dermatologist. It is more time consuming and requires a highly experienced surgeon.
- Robotic or micromotor guided hair transplant: In this, the surgeon guides a robotic micromotor to carry on the transplantation of the hair follicles. It is more precise as the robot maps the scalp area and also the natural inclination of the hair follicles. It is more efficient than the manual one.
What are the side-effects of Hair Transplantation?
The hair transplantation can have the following side-effects:
- Permanent scarring on the site of surgery
- Pus formation in the operated area
- Folliculitis or inflammation of the follicles
- Loss of sensation around the transplantation site
- Scalp infections
- Itching around the transplanted follicles
- Irritated scalp resulting in more hair loss
- Allergic reaction to recovery medications
- New hair growth not matching with the natural one
Is Hair Transplant permanent?
In most of the cases, hair transplant in Pune is a permanent procedure when individuals take good post-operative care of follicles and regularly undergoes routine check-ups. It is certainly a permanent solution when treating androgenetic alopecia. However, you need to be attentive about the medications and should be in constant consultation with your dermatologist.
What is the cost of the Hair Transplant?
The cost of the hair transplant depends on four major factors:
- The extent of baldness that is the number of grafts needed
- The type of hair
- The availability of transplantation expert in your area
- The experience of the expert
- The type of procedure chosen
- The hospital/clinic chosen
Now, let us calculate the average cost depending upon these factors.
Each graft costs about INR 20 to INR 120. This cost can vary depending upon the factors mentioned above.
If we assume the lowest number of grafts required to be 1,000, then the cost comes around INR 30,000.
If you go for high-end specialists, it may come around INR 50,000. Now, this is the lowest number of grafts required.
The price can go up to 2 lakhs. Therefore, the hair transplant in Pune will cost you anything between INR 30,000 to 2 lakhs depending upon the various factors.
You May Also Want To Know
Dr. Norman Orentreich performed the first hair transplantation for the male pattern baldness in New York City in 1952. It was initially rejected by the medical community. But it finally gained recognition in 1959. There was no turning back after that. The procedure has developed from being done manually to being controlled by robots. There are two major procedures for hair transplantation, strip harvesting and follicular unit extraction. The robotic hair transplantation began in 2011 with the introduction of ARTAS robots. These ensure better precision and also smaller surgery time. the patient does not need to go through 2-3 sessions. The procedure is basically used for baldness but is also used for restoring hair on eyelashes, eyebrows and anywhere else on the body. Hair transplant in Pune is done by both techniques.
Indications for getting a hair transplant
Balding is the obvious indication for getting the hair transplantation. Dermatologists recommend hair transplant in Pune when individuals experience balding or hair recession or thinning in specific areas of the scalp. You should also take into consideration your genetics and also the lifestyle to ensure that you get the best possible treatment. However, some people opt to go for a hair transplant for purely aesthetic purposes. Many people lose hair because of accidents or some surgeries. Also, some people get it done for long hair which may not be their genetic predisposition. There are a number of trained doctors for hair transplant in Pune.
Stages of male baldness pattern
According to the Norwood scale pattern, the male pattern baldness is classified into 7 stages:
- Stage 1: As this is the first stage, the hair loss is not noticeable. The hair loss begins around the temple. It is actually just the thinning. Most people tend to ignore this much hair loss.
- Stage 2: The characteristic M-shaped hairline begins to show in this stage. The hair loss becomes prominent and becomes visible to naked eyes. People notice the inward movement of baldness.
- Stage 3: The temporal region shows maximum hair loss in this stage. The hair loss becomes very prominent at the top of the head. The patient begins to show baldness patches. It is at this stage that you might begin to consider getting some sort of treatment.
- Stage 4: This stage marks the onset of serious baldness. The bald patches become very prominent over the crown. The patients find it impossible o hide. Also, the pace of hair loss increases manifold. The bald patches are clearly visible on the front hairline and on the crown. Usually, there is only a thin strip of hair left on the front side of the scalp.
- Stage 5: The characteristic horseshoe-shaped hairline is formed at this stage. The band of hair connecting hair on either side of the scalp becomes thinner. This stage demands the immediate course of action.
- Stage 6: The bald areas on the temple join the bald patches at the vertex. The hair at the crown is gone. Basically, the baldness is fully set-in.
- Stage 7: This stage is called the full baldness stage. The hair loss is at its maximum. Whatever hair remains shows unnatural thinning and loss. The patients at this stage are advised to go for the hair transplantation surgery. The dermatologist explains to them the benefits and also the complications involved.
Causes of male pattern baldness
The male pattern baldness or the androgenetic baldness has several underlying factors. The important ones are:
- Genetic factors: If your family has a history of baldness, you are at heightened risk of it too. This type of baldness sets in with age and with a predictable pattern. The hair loss begins with thinning and a receding hairline. You cannot actually control this type of baldness. However, proper and timely medications may slow down the process.
- Hormonal factors: The hair growth in males is determined by the levels of testosterone and androgen. If, because of any underlying medical condition, their level drops, the side effect is noticeable as the baldness.
- Cancer and its treatments: Hair loss is one of the most common side-effects of cancer. The treatment procedure also leads to alopecia. Radiation therapy and chemotherapy make most patients bald.
- Nutritional deficiency: If a person suffers from a deficiency of vitamin A, Vitamin K, and biotin; hair loss sets in. Also, the protein level determines hair density.
- Lifestyle: Many people suffer from baldness due to their lifestyle. If they are stressed most of the time, hair loss gets accelerated. Many people tend to keep their hair tightly made into a ponytail for the majority of the time. this also leads to hair loss.
- Medications: Medicines for some diseases like arthritis, gout, high BP, etc. have side effects. This may be alopecia in some.
Hair transplant in Pune is a highly advanced treatment for balding advocated by many top-rated dermatologists. However, the candidates often remain doubtful whether they are the right candidate for this technique. It is a critical question, and many patients seek expert guidance from physicians to clear their doubts. You need to take into consideration the following factors before getting a hair transplant in Pune:
- The hair color: If the color of the hair on the donor site is different than the recipient, it will look odd. Hair transplant in such cases may not be recommended.
- The hair thickness: Those with thick hair are better candidates as there is more hair present for substitution from the donor to the recipient site.
- The health of scalp: The scalp should be disease-free and infections free.
- Hair shape: The curlier hair makes a better option for transplant.
- The flexibility of scalp: A good scalp flexibility means more placement of hair follicles and hence denser hair.
- Financial status: You should be financially sound to go through the procedure and also continue with the post-operative medications.
When am I not a good candidate for Hair Transplant?
The dermatologist may refrain from giving you a transplant if you:
- Have alopecia
- Have reached scale 6 or 7 on the Norwood scale
- Have rigid and unhealthy scalp
Types of Hair Transplant surgeries
The types of hair transplant surgeries are classified on two criteria:
According to harvesting from the donor area:
- Strip harvesting: A strip of hair is removed from the posterior scalp and transplanted onto the recipient site.
- Follicular unit extraction (FUE): The hair follicles from the hairy part of the head are removed and punched onto the balding site.
According to the basis of equipment used:
- Manual: A trained surgeon or a dermatologist performs this. the whole process is spread across several sessions.
- Robotic: A dermatologist uses an ARTAS robot to carry on the whole procedure.
Preoperative assessment and planning
Before going ahead with hair transplant in Pune, the following guidelines are discussed with the patient:
- Medical history of the patient
- Assessment of the baldness
- Discussion about the surgery, expectations, and risk factors involved
- Pre-operative diagnostics like scalp diagnostic, BP, sugar level, etc.
- Paperwork including the consent form
- Addictions like smoking or taking alcohol. These need to be stopped before the surgery
- Prior medications like blood thinners also need to be stopped before the surgery.
Post-operative guidelines or post-operative care
Once the hair transplant in Pune is done, the following care needs to be taken:
- The regular dressing of the wound
- Shielding of the new follicles from the harsh environment like bright sun or dust.
- Regular intake of medications
- Refrain from shampooing the hair for a few days. After that, use only mild ones for 4-5 weeks.
- Refrain from combing the hair or using any hair products like styling gel or conditioners.
- Do not cover the head with a hat or cap of pullovers.
The hair transplant in Pune is not without its fair share of side-effects. The common side-effects associated with this surgery are:
- Allergic reaction to the medications and the anesthesia
- Tissue scarring
- Permanent scars because of skin removal
- Shock loss of hair - It is the continuing loss of hair even after the transplant
Alternatives for Hair Transplant
If you do not wish to opt for the hair transplant in Pune, you still have a lot of options to hide your balding scalp. You can go for any of the following options:
- Use a wig
- Use vitamin E infused oil and capsules to stimulate hair growth
- Stop being rough with your hair.
- Refrain from using multiple cosmetic products and hair dyes.
- Use minoxidil to reduce hair loss.
- Use Finasteride for promoting hair health.