Ozepam 0.5 MG Tablet
Ozepam 0.5 MG Tablet is a very effective medicine for the treatment of seizures of different types. It is also used to treat panic attacks and sleep disorders.
Major & minor side effects for Ozepam 0.5 MG Tablet
In addition to its intended effect, Ozepam 0.5 MG Tablet may cause some unwanted effects too. In such cases, you must seek medical attention immediately.
- Depression severe
- Uncontrolled body movements
- Reduced intellectual abilities
- Allergy severe
- Decreased sexual urge
- Upper respiratory tract infection
- Blurred vision rare
- Muscle pain rare
This is not an exhaustive list of side effects. Please inform your doctor if you experience any adverse reaction to the medication.
Commonly asked questions for Ozepam 0.5 MG Tablet
Onset of action
The effect of this medicine can be observed within 30 to 40 minutes of administration.
Duration of effect
The effect of this medicine lasts for an average duration of 6 to 8 hours in adults. This duration increases to 12 hours in infants and children.
Safe with alcohol?severe
Consumption of alcohol should be avoided while you are taking Ozepam 0.5 MG Tablet. Activities which require high mental alertness should be avoided and symptoms like dizziness, difficulty in breathing should be reported to the doctor immediately.
Is it habit forming?
Habit forming tendencies were reported in some cases especially if the usage is for an extended period of time. A gradual withdrawal of the drug i.e. decrease in dosing over a period of time is suggested in such cases.
Usage in pregnancy?
This medicine is not recommended during pregnancy until absolutely necessary. It is known to cause harm to the fetus. Infants born to a mother taking this drug during pregnancy may show withdrawal symptoms.
Usage while breast-feeding?
This medicine is not recommended for use in women who are lactating as the likelihood of side effects on the infant is very high. However, the potential benefits and associated risks should be discussed with your doctor in cases where it is necessary to take this medicine.
List of substitutes for Ozepam 0.5 MG Tablet
Below is the list of medicines, which have the same composition, strength and form as Ozepam 0.5 MG Tablet , and hence can be used as its substitute.
What is it prescribed for?
Uses of Ozepam 0.5 MG Tablet
- Seizure disorderOzepam 0.5 MG Tablet is used in the prevention and management of seizures of different types.
- Panic attacksOzepam 0.5 MG Tablet is used for the prevention and management of panic attacks and associated episodes of anxiety, if present.
- Sleep disordersOzepam 0.5 MG Tablet is also used in the treatment of a specific sleep disorder known as REM Sleep Behaviour Disorder
When not to use?
Contraindications for Ozepam 0.5 MG Tablet
- AllergyOzepam 0.5 MG Tablet is not recommended for use if you have a known history of allergy to Benzodiazepine group of drugs.
- Liver diseaseOzepam 0.5 MG Tablet is not recommended for use if you have an active liver disease or abnormality.
- GlaucomaOzepam 0.5 MG Tablet is not recommended for use if you have Acute Narrow Angle Glaucoma. However, it can be administered for Open Angle Glaucoma.
Missed / Overdose instructions
Whenever you take more than one medicine, or mix it with certain foods or beverages, you’re at risk of a drug interaction.
Interaction with Alcohol severe
- Consumption of alcohol or alcoholic beverage while taking this medicine may cause some severe side effects like dizziness, impaired judgment. If the amount consumed is very high and prolonged, then it could lead to some very severe side effects like breathing difficulties leading to death.
- Consumption of alcohol should be avoided while you are taking Ozepam 0.5 MG Tablet. Activities which require high mental alertness should be avoided and symptoms like dizziness, difficulty in breathing should be reported to the doctor immediately.
Interaction with Medicine
Closed-Angle GlaucomasevereOzepam 0.5 MG Tablet is not recommended for use if you are suffering from Closed Angle Glaucoma. It can be used if you have Open Angle Glaucoma but are not receiving any treatment for it.
Respiratory disorderssevereOzepam 0.5 MG Tablet should be used with caution if you are suffering from respiratory disorders. Treatment with this medicine requires an individualized dose adjustment and periodic monitoring of symptoms.
Liver diseasesevereOzepam 0.5 MG Tablet should be used with caution if you suffering from an active liver disorder. Suitable dose adjustment and safety monitoring may be required in such cases.
ObesitymoderateOzepam 0.5 MG Tablet should be used with caution in obese patients with careful monitoring of symptoms. An increase in dosing intervals might be necessary in some cases.
This is not an exhaustive list of interactions. Always inform your doctor beforehand about your medical history and current medications.
Take Ozepam 0.5 MG Tablet exactly as instructed by your doctor. Taking the right quantity for the right duration is very critical given that it may be habit-forming. Appropriate medical tests should be conducted periodically to assess safety. Never discontinue usage without consulting your doctor.
Ozepam 0.5 MG Tablet can cause suicidal behavior if the usage duration is prolonged. Such patients should be closely monitored and any behavioural changes should be reported to the doctor.
Interference with awareness and movements
Ozepam 0.5 MG Tablet can interfere with general awareness and body movements. You should refrain from operating heavy machinery or performing work that requires a high level of mental alertness.
Ozepam 0.5 MG Tablet can cause withdrawal symptoms if the usage is stopped abruptly. Gradual withdrawal is suggested in case you have been taking this medicine for long.
Ozepam 0.5 MG Tablet should be used with caution if you have a history of drug abuse. Chances of dependency are very high especially if the intended use is for a long duration of time.
Ozepam 0.5 MG Tablet can cause an onset of seizures if you have a history of epilepsy. Appropriate medicines should be taken along with Ozepam 0.5 MG Tablet to counter the possibility of drug-induced seizures.
- Clonazepam - FDA prescribing information, side effects and uses [Internet]. Drugs.com. 2017 [cited 1 March 2017]. Available from: https://www.drugs.com/pro/clonazepam.html
- clonazepam | C15H10ClN3O3 - PubChem [Internet]. Pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. 2017 [cited 1 March 2017]. Available from: https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/2802
- Clonazepam: MedlinePlus Drug Information [Internet]. Medlineplus.gov. 2017 [cited 1 March 2017]. Available from: https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a682279.html
- DailyMed - CLONAZEPAM- clonazepam tablet [Internet]. Dailymed.nlm.nih.gov. 2017 [cited 1 March 2017]. Available from: https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=acbce0e8-5098-4785-943b-8bdb5ff17fab#AB604B8F-25D4-4326-87C6-B92142B765F2
- Klonopin (clonazepam) dosing, indications, interactions, adverse effects, and more [Internet]. Reference.medscape.com. 2017 [cited 1 March 2017]. Available from: http://reference.medscape.com/drug/klonopin-clonazepam-342900#91
We’ve made all possible efforts to ensure that the information provided here is accurate, up-to-date and complete, however, it should not be treated as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Practo only provides reference source for common information on medicines and does not guarantee its accuracy or exhaustiveness. The absence of a warning for any drug or combination thereof, should not be assumed to indicate that the drug or combination is safe, effective, or appropriate for any given patient. Practo does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information provided above. If you have any doubts about your medication then we strongly recommend that you consult with your doctor, nurse or healthcare provider. See detailed T&C here.