Who is a Gynecologist-Obstetrician?
Gynecology is the medical branch that deals with the female reproductive system. Obstetrics is the field of medicine that concentrates on the study of pregnancy, childbirth, and the postpartum period. So, doctors who are specialized in diagnosing and treating medical conditions and diseases related to vagina, ovaries, uterus, and breasts are Gynecologists and the one who takes care of the pregnant women throughout the childbirth and postpartum period are Obstetricians.
What are the qualifications of Gynecologist-Obstetrician?
A 5-year medical degree [MBBS] that is recognized by the General Medical Council and a 2-year foundation course of general training are the basic requirements for an individual to be a doctor. However, the following are the specialties or extra qualifications required to be a Gynecologist-Obstetrician:
- CCT - OBGMRCP - Obstetrics & Gynecology
- MD - Midwifery & Gynecology
- MS - Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- PhD - Obstetrics & Gynecology
- DNB - Obstetrics & Gynecology
- MNAMS - Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Post Graduate Diploma in Maternity and Child Health (PGDMCH)
- Fellowship in Reproductive Medicine
- FCPS - Mid. & Gynae
- Fellow of Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists FRCOG (London)
- Fellow of Indian College of Obstetrics and Gynecology (FICOG)
- Diploma of the Faculty of Family Planning (DFFP)
- Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologist (FRANZCOG)
- MD - Obstetrics & Gynaecology
What is the difference between Gynecologists and Obstetricians?
A gynecologist deals with the health and wellbeing of the reproductive system of females and an obstetrician deals with pregnancy, childbirth, and postpartum care. Both, the gynecologists and obstetricians are trained in both the fields hence when a woman is pregnant she can consult either of them. However, if the issues are related to the female reproductive system then a gynecologist should be consulted.
Can Obstetrics and Gynecologists treat infertility in women?
Yes, a gynecologist and obstetrician can treat infertility and health issues related to it. Consulting a gynecologist can help an individual to understand and evaluate the condition and explore the various avenues of the treatment.
What are the procedures performed by an ObGyn (Obstetrics and Gynecologists)?
Following are the common procedures done by gynecologists:
- D&C (Dilation and Curettage)
Following are the common procedures done by obstetrics:
Why should an individual consult a Gynecologists-Obstetrician?
Individuals who are suffering from any of the following diseases or medical conditions should consult a Gynecologist-Obstetrician:
- Pre-menstrual syndrome [PMS]
- Ovarian cysts
- Heavy menstrual bleeding
- Gynecological cancers
- Vulva & vagina skin disorders
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome [PCOS]
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Spontaneous abortion
- Retained placenta
- Termination of pregnancy [TOP]
- Implanon insertion
- Temporary & Permanent contraception
- Pelvic pain
- Uterine fibroids
- Genital tract infections
- Pelvic organ prolapse