Frequently Asked Questions
What is Circumcision and who can perform?
The process of surgically removing excess or narrow foreskin on the end of the penis is called circumcision. It can be performed by a well-experienced family doctor or General surgeon, Paediatrician (for infants), Urologist, or an Obstetrician.
What are the applications of Circumcision?
Applications of Circumcision are the following:
- Prevent cancers, infections, or sexually transferred diseases of the penis
- Infections of foreskin
- Conditions that may be caused due to the restricted movement of the foreskin like phimosis, balanitis, paraphimosis, etc.
What are the reasons to get Circumcision?
To get Circumcision, the following may be the reasons:
- Swelling of the head of the penis also called Balanitis
- Restriction of the blood flow to the end of the penis also known as paraphimosis
- Phimosis or Unable to pull back the foreskin
- Balanoposthitis or inflammation of the foreskin and penile tip
What are the preparations required for Circumcision?
- The health condition of the patient may be checked by the doctor before undergoing Circumcision.
- The doctor may suggest undergoing a few lab tests and other examinations
- About the risks, complications, and uses of Circumcision should be discussed with the doctor.
- The patient should inform about past and present medical and medication history to the doctor.
What is the stepwise procedure for performing Circumcision?
- The patient will be prepared for surgery by cleaning the genital area and a sterile cloth will be used to expose only the penis.
- A suitable numbing agent will be used to prevent any pain during the surgery
- The excess foreskin will be retracted to its original position and will be cut by a series or upper, lower and side incisions.
- The edges of the foreskin and blood vessels will be closed with sutures or surgical gum and dressed with sterile bandages.
What is the post-surgery/procedure care taken for patients?
- Use of antibiotics and pain killers as prescribed by the doctor.
- Visit the doctor regularly till the incisions heal completely
- Adults must avoid sexual intercourse for at least 7-10 days.
- All the necessary care instructions must be followed as instructed by the doctor in cases of circumcision done for infants or newborn males.
How much amount should pay for Circumcision in Delhi?
Charges for Circumcision in Delhi may change depending on the factors such as:
- Health condition of the patient
- Type of hospital
- Surgeon fee
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- Age of the patient
- Type of surgery planned to be performed.
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc
- Admission fee
Minimum price in Delhi starts from Rs. 4,200
Average expenses in Delhi is approximately Rs. 29,372
Maximum cost in Delhi rises up to Rs. 1,00,000
Is Circumcision a major or minor surgery/procedure?
Circumcision is a minor surgery, the patient would be discharged on the same day after the surgery.
What is the criteria required for the patients to undergo Circumcision?
Circumcision can be done for Male newborns, Adults, and grown-ups with penile complications or conditions, Religious beliefs, and other factors.
Who cannot get Circumcision?
Circumcision is not recommended for Older men aged above 80 years and young or adult men with bleeding disorders, bacterial or fungal infections, etc.
What are the risks and complications of Circumcision?
Few risks and complications of Circumcision can be Penile infections or pain or swelling, Urethral damage and difficulty in urination, Bleeding, Improper healing or Reattachment of the foreskin in rare cases, etc.
What is the complete recovery time from Circumcision?
Patients will take one to two weeks to recover from circumcision.
What is the success rate of Circumcision?
A few factors may determine the success rate of Circumcision and they are:
- Patient age
- Type of surgery performed
- Experience of the surgeon
- The medical condition of the patient
However, the success rate of Circumcision may be 60-80%.
Does a patient experience any pain during Circumcision?
Every surgery comes with a certain level of pain and some discomfort. You won't be experiencing pain during this process as the doctor would use a numbing agent to ease the pain.
What can be the long-term effects of Circumcision?
Few goals to look for after circumcision are Improvement in erectile function and overall sexual satisfaction, Relief from the difficulty caused by the narrow foreskin, etc.
What can be done if Circumcision fails?
Your doctor would recommend a revision surgery in case of failed circumcision.
What are the alternative methods for Circumcision?
Alternative methods for Circumcision are the following:
- Topical steroid creams
- Manual tissue expansion
- Preputioplasty (minor slit on the dorsal side of the penis to widen the narrow foreskin)