Frequently Asked Questions
What is Anterior Cruciate Ligament [ACL] Surgery and who can perform?
ACL surgery is a type of medical surgery that restores the damaged ACL ligament by replacing it with a tendon. It is also known as ACL reconstructive or repair surgery.
ACL surgery is of two types and they are:
- Open surgery
- Arthroscopic-assisted surgery
ACL [Anterior Cruciate Ligament] Surgery is performed by the Orthopedic Surgeon.
What are the applications of ACL Surgery?
Applications of ACL Surgery are the following:
- Improves motion of the knee
- Less pain after the surgery
What are the reasons to undergo ACL Surgery?
To get ACL Surgery, the following may be the reasons:
- Damaged ACL ligament
- Reduced movement of the knee
What are the preparations required for ACL Surgery?
- The health condition of the patient may be checked by the doctor before undergoing ACL Surgery.
- The doctor may suggest undergoing a few lab tests and other examinations
- About the risks, complications, and uses of ACL Surgery should be discussed with the doctor.
- The patient should inform about past and present medical and medication history to the doctor.
What is the stepwise procedure for performing ACL Surgery?
- With the help of general anesthesia, the patient will be sedated and do not feel any kind of pain during the whole surgery process.
- Then, the surgeon replaces the damaged ACL with another tendon by making a small incision at the knee region.
What is the post-surgery care taken for patients?
Follow the prescription as directed by the doctor.
- Avoid walking without a walking aid.
- To know how the treatment works, make frequent appointments with the doctor.
How much amount should I pay for ACL Surgery in Delhi?
Charges for ACL Surgery in Delhi may change depending on the factors such as:
- Health condition of the patient
- The admission room that you opted for
- Type of hospital
- Surgeon fee
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- Age of the patient
- Type of surgery planned to be performed
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc
- Admission fee
- Type of implants used
Minimum price in Delhi starts from Rs.45,000
Average expenses in Delhi is approximately Rs.1,67,463
Maximum cost in Delhi rises up to Rs.3,50,000
What is the criteria required for the patients to undergo ACL Surgery?
- Individuals with ACL damage and cannot be treated with medicines.
- People with unstable knees.
Who cannot get ACL Surgery?
- Patients suffering from ACL damage and can be treated with medicines.
- People with severe arthritis.
What are the risks and complications of ACL Surgery?
- Reduced knee movement
- The graft may not heal as expected
- The placed tendon may not heal properly
What is the time required to complete ACL Surgery?
ACL Surgery may take about 60-90 minutes to complete.
What is the complete recovery time from ACL Surgery?
8-9 weeks of a period is required for an individual to recover completely from the ACL Surgery.
What is the success rate of ACL Surgery?
A few factors may determine the success rate of ACL Surgery and they are:
- Patient age
- Type of implants used in the surgery
- Type of surgery performed
- Experience of the surgeon
- Medical condition of the patient
However, the success rate of ACL Surgery maybe 90%.
Does a patient experience any pain during ACL Surgery?
As the patient will be under the anesthetic effect, there will be no pain during the surgery.
Is ACL Surgery a permanent surgery?
ACL surgery helps to restore the damaged ACL ligament and hence it is a permanent surgery.
What can be the long-term effects of ACL Surgery?
- Movement of the knee will be improved
- Knee function may be recovered
Is it possible to be detected in the future?
ACL surgery can be detected in the future due to the presence of scars at the site of operation.
What can be done if ACL Surgery fails?
Revision surgery is suggested by the doctor in case of a failed ACL surgery.
What are the alternative methods for ACL Surgery?
Alternative methods for ACL Surgery are the following:
- Treatments like rehabilitation and exercise
- Proliferation therapy