Frequently Asked Questions
What is ACL [Anterior Cruciate Ligament] Surgery and its advantages?
ACL [Anterior Cruciate Ligament] surgery is a type of surgery where the damaged ACL will be repaired or replaced with another tendon. The tendon that replaces the damaged ACL is called graft. ACL surgery is also known as ACL reconstructive or repair surgery.
ACL surgery can be done in two  ways and they are:
- Arthroscopic-assisted surgery
- Open surgery
Advantages of ACL Surgery are the following:
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Less pain after the surgery
- Mobility and stability of knee will be increased
- Less chance of revision surgery
What are the indications of ACL Surgery?
Indications of ACL Surgery are the following:
- Injury to knee with torn ligaments
- Damage to the ACL ligament
- Instability to the knee joint
What can be the preparation for ACL Surgery?
- Before undergoing the surgery, the medical condition of the patient will be checked by the doctor.
- The patient should inform past and present medical and medication history to the doctor.
- A few lab tests or other examinations may be recommended by the doctor to the patient.
- Discuss all the risks and complications along with the benefits of ACL Surgery with the doctor.
How ACL Surgery is done?
ACL Surgery can be done by following the below steps:
- The patient will be under general anesthetic and does not feel pain during the surgery.
- A small incision on the knee is made and then the damaged ligament will be removed.
- The damaged ligament will be replaced by a part of the patella tendon and this replacement is called a graft.
- With the help of screws or fixation devices, the graft is tightened.
What is the recovery care for ACL Surgery?
Few steps are recommended by the doctor for the recovery from ACL Surgery and they are:
- Take the medications prescribed by the doctor.
- A walking aid may be recommended.
- Take rest as advised by the doctor.
- Make follow-up visits to the doctor to check the status of the surgery.
Which specialist can perform the ACL Surgery?
Orthopedic Surgeon performs the ACL surgery.
How much does ACL surgery cost in Pune?
Factors that may affect the cost of ACL Surgery are:
- Surgeon fee
- Type of implants used
- Patient age
- Type of surgery planned to be performed.
- Type of hospital
- Medical condition of the patient
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- Admission fee
- The admission room that you opted for
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc.
Minimum expenses in Pune starts from Rs.40,000
Average amount to be paid in Pune is approximately Rs.77,000
Maximum charges in Pune rise up to Rs.2,00,000
Is ACL Surgery a major or minor surgery?
ACL surgery can be either major or minor surgery depending on the severity of the damage to ACL.
To what kind of people ACL Surgery is recommended?
ACL Surgery is recommended in the following individuals:
- People with unstable knees due to ACL damage.
- Individuals with poor quality of life due to the ACL injury.
- People with injured knee cartilage or other knee ligaments.
To what kind of people ACL Surgery is not recommended?
ACL Surgery is not recommended in the following individuals:
- People with severe arthritis.
- Individuals suffering from ACL damage and responding to non-surgical treatments.
What are the risks and complications associated with ACL Surgery?
Risks and complications of ACL Surgery are:
- Can cause osteoarthritis
- Graft failure
- Pain at the site of incision
- Improper healing of the graft
- Knee stiffness
How much time does ACL Surgery take to complete?
To complete ACL surgery, the surgeon may take almost 60-90 minutes.
How long does it take to recover from ACL Surgery?
It may take around 8-9 months to recover completely from ACL Surgery.
What is the success rate of ACL Surgery?
The factors that affect the success rate of ACL Surgery are:
- Experience of the surgeon
- Type of surgery performed
- Patient age
- Type of implants used
- Health condition of the patient
However, the success rate of ACL Surgery maybe 80% - 90%
Does ACL Surgery cause pain?
Due to the effect of anesthesia, the patient doesn’t feel any pain during the surgery.
Is ACL Surgery a permanent surgery?
ACL Surgery is a permanent surgery, as it replaces the damaged ACL. However, in a few cases revision surgery should be done.
What are the long-term results of ACL Surgery?
- Restores the function of the knee
- Improves knee stability
- Knee motion is regained
Can ACL Surgery be detected in the future?
Under an X-ray or MRI scan, ACL Surgery can be detected.
What can be done if ACL Surgery fails?
If ACL Surgery fails, then the doctor may suggest undergoing revision surgery.
What are the other treatments apart from ACL Surgery?
Alternative treatment options apart from ACL Surgery are the following:
Non-surgical treatments like
- Rehabilitation and exercise