Yellow Saliva in morning

In the morning after waking up, when I spit out the accumulated saliva, I find it yellow in color. This happens even if I brush my teeth before going to sleep and despite using mouthwash. This has been an issues in last couple of months. Any possible causes?

Doctor Answers (2) on Yellow Saliva in morning

Poornachandra Tejaswi S Bangalore | General Physician
Hello. I think you should know that yellowish discolouration of saliva can occur due to bacterial overgrowth in the tongue, teeths or oral tissues. It can also be seen in acid reflux. Generally a patient with acid reflux will also have heart burns.most of the time this will end up resulting in halitosis(bad breath) and tooth decay, where the standard dental treatments and mouthwashes that are often recommended provide only temporary relief. Oral malodor is primarily the result of microbial metabolism. The mouth is home to hundreds of bacterial species with various nutritional preferences. These organisms digest proteins, and several fetid substances arise, leading to bad breath. Oral malodor from the overgrowth of proteolytic, anaerobic gram-negative bacteria on the crevices of the tongue dorsum can be successfully diagnosed and treated.To reduce bad breath, help avoid cavities and lower your risk of gum disease, consistently practice good oral hygiene. Further treatment for bad breath can vary, depending on the cause. If your bad breath is thought to be caused by an underlying health condition, it's better to consult a dentist or physician they will do the needful
Dr. Anil Kumar Jain Bangalore | General Physician
Hello there. I can understand your concern. You don't need to worry about it much. It may be normal. The yellow color could be the secretions accumulated in the throat over the night which when you spit looks yellow saliva in the morning. Just brush your teeth and clean your tongue well before sleeping and after getting up in the morning. If the saliva is foul smelling or blood streaked you need to be worried. Consult a physician in person for further help regarding this issue. Best regards. Dr. Anil Kumar Jain.