White layer around penis

Hi there seems to be a white layer around my penis. It's sticky and If I put water on it, it peels off but sometimes it hurts. I don't have any pains during urination. Lately my wife has also been having some irritation around her vagina. Can it be STD. What should we do as of now before visiting doc

Doctor Answers (1) on White layer around penis

Thank you for your question
Infections involving the genitals can be shared by sexual partners. That's why they are called sexually transmitted. However, infections often need testing and treating. Often it can be a simple yeast infection that thrives in dark, wet and warm places. Other times it can be more serious.
Another point to consider if either of you have had unprotected sex with anyone else. Since this can be a sensitive issue and can complicate relationships it is better to seek professional help so no misunderstandings are created. If you have had such an episode its better to be upfront and both should get tested for currently known STDs.
It is difficult to diagnose  skin related conditions without seeing them with your own eyes so it is important to show the doctor what you are seeing. That will help greatly with the diagnosis. Pl see a dr specialising in skin and DVD.
hope this helps