diabetes-icon

Weight loss difficulty

I have been playing badminton every day heavily for 2 hours for last 5 years but yet I haven't lost a single kilogram of weight. I have only increased 4 kilos in last 2 years. I follow normal diet every day.I am not a heavy eater.. is it because of my hypo thyroid condition that I am not losing any weight? kindly suggest ways to lose weight... my height is 165 cm and weight is 74 kilograms...

Doctor Answers (1) on Weight loss difficulty

Dr. Harsha Bangalore | General Physician
Hi there...I can understand your concern. Ideal weight for your height is about 65 kgs. So you are not too overweight also. First and foremost you must understand losing your weight is a very gradual process. You should have strong determination and patience if you want to lose weight. And it cannot happen suddenly. Losing too much suddenly is also not good for health. You have to follow a strict diet and exercise schedule. Regarding diet - have small multiple meals instead of 3 big meals, eat food rich in proteins and fibres like egg white boiled chicken vegetables fruits pulses, avoid carbohydrate rich foods like rice curds oily foods sweets ghee and other junk food. Regarding exercises - start slowly with brisk walking, then change over to jogging, running and other abdominal exercises. Never over strain yourself. And always keep yourself well hydrated and enjoy whatever you do. Also consult a dietician at any hospital who will be able to give you a proper chart regarding the same