Wax coating on apple

I recently came across a few articles and short videos where they have shown a layer of wax coating on apples. I would like to know if it is safe to consume such apples since I am a regular consumer of apples? Whether this wax affects our digestive system in any way?

Doctor Answers (1) on Wax coating on apple

Dr. Tejender Kaur Mumbai | Dietitian/Nutritionist
Hello Nice to hear about your query. Fruits are waxed to protect them from environmental polution and insecticides since they form a protective film around the fruit. Now the question is which variety of wax and how much is actually applied. Our body can digest healthy waxes. The important things to remember is 1.Always wash your fruits before eating 2. Run a blunt knife over Apple and if wax is scrapped out kindly remove it thoroughly before consuming 3. If the fruit shines more than it should, I suggest wash it thoroughly before consuming Waxes are not that bad as they are publisezd. Need to check the quality and quantity of wax as these help to keep fruits fresh n safe. I hope this helps